2011 Cruze- 1 month review

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my coworkers bought one with the 1.4 turbo and a 6 speed manual.

He threw me the keys and I took it for a quick drive. I have to say it was impressive, and I told him so. He then got on me about refusing to buy American and maybe the Cruise would change my mind. I told him we would discuss that when his car has 100K on it. He got quiet on that one.

Looking at this thread, we have rattles and concerns about the interior holding up on brand new cars. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
We also travel out of town as far as 200 miles ( round trip )for better deals on new / used cars . End up daving as much as $1,000 or greater . Try to buy local , but get poor trade in values , discounts , or both .

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy

He threw me the keys and I took it for a quick drive. I have to say it was impressive, and I told him so. He then got on me about refusing to buy American and maybe the Cruise would change my mind. I told him we would discuss that when his car has 100K on it. He got quiet on that one.

Looking at this thread, we have rattles and concerns about the interior holding up on brand new cars. Hmmmm.

There's a 3.5L V6 Hyundai cold engine knocking thread a few posts down. We have cold engine knocking concerns on brand new cars. Hmmmm.

Knock on wood, I went on a 150 mile interstate trip today and didn't hear the rattle. It seems it only happens on the roads I drive for work. Those are 2-lane roads through the hills, and are in just awful shape. For most drivers, they wouldn't drive on roads rough enough to hear it.

Look through my posts. I also tend to get the very oddball problems with my cars. It could be mine's just a fluke.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Knock on wood, I went on a 150 mile interstate trip today and didn't hear the rattle. It seems it only happens on the roads I drive for work. Those are 2-lane roads through the hills, and are in just awful shape. For most drivers, they wouldn't drive on roads rough enough to hear it.

Look through my posts. I also tend to get the very oddball problems with my cars. It could be mine's just a fluke.

I'm with you sciphi. It could also be just that you're more demanding than other people. I've been in plenty of people with cars that they claim are perfect and couldn't wait to get out of due to various issues including rattles, knocks, warped rotors they claimed not to feel, ridiculously out of balance tires, brakes that barely worked, etc (including some Hyundais - not that it matters).

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy

There's a 3.5L V6 Hyundai cold engine knocking thread a few posts down. We have cold engine knocking concerns on brand new cars. Hmmmm.

thumbsup2.gif
Right on! Today's cars are practically equal in terms of quality and reliabilty across ALL manufactures foreign and domestic. One cannot forget it is a complex item that is still mostly human designed and built and with that defects do pop up from time to time. Every OEM will have issues here and there...EVERY one! That is why you have a warranty.

I'd still get the Cruze. Mine is a riot to drive. It's fairly agile, fairly quick when I get on it, and gets at least 40 mpg driven fairly conservatively. The ride is great, the sounds the engine makes are good when gotten on, and it's very quiet with the radio off.

Like any car, it has its teething problems. I'm seeing this dash rattle as a teething issue that'll get taken care of. It's not a major mechanical issue, just something I notice when driving for work.

Fuel mileage update: 150 miles on all interstate today with the cruise set on 62 mph resulted in 49.3 mpg on my ScanGauge, and 53.2 mpg on the dash display. Still impressive considering the car has less than 2000 miles on it.

Fuel mileage update: 150 miles on all interstate today with the cruise set on 62 mph resulted in 49.3 mpg on my ScanGauge, and 53.2 mpg on the dash display. Still impressive considering the car has less than 2000 miles on it.

Nice MPG! It's sad how far off the dash display is though!

Originally Posted By: Patman

Maybe the scangauge is off?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Patman

Maybe the scangauge is off?

No, the SG is closer. It's been calibrated over a few tanks, and is only 0.2-0.3 gallons off what's actually used. I've also noted the dash display being consistently 10% optimistic ever since the first tank.

Took awhile for the base model 2011 FIT w/ 5 speed auto to learn our driving . The display is usually just a tad lower than the calculated mileage when the low gas light comes on and do a refill . Anything above 1/4 of a tank is not as accurate . Very impressive numbers for the CRUZE .

Last edited:
That fuel mileage is fantastic.

Take a look at this Fuelly histogram. You can see the peak for the Cruze Eco 6MT at around 41 mpg.

Now compare that to this histogram... The Jetta TDI's peak is around the same!

It's amazing that the gasoline-powered Cruze is matching the diesel-powered Jetta. I wonder how the diesel-powered Cruze will do once that comes out?

I wonder why the Cruze's on board mileage calculator is so far off? Maybe it takes a while to calibrate itself?

Very impressive mileage figures for tight new vehicles, I'm looking forward to hearing what they get when you put 10k-15k miles on them and loosen everything up a bit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I wonder why the Cruze's on board mileage calculator is so far off? Maybe it takes a while to calibrate itself?

Very impressive mileage figures for tight new vehicles, I'm looking forward to hearing what they get when you put 10k-15k miles on them and loosen everything up a bit.

In most cars the onboard MPG computer is off. The Focus was off by 2 consistently for the time I owned it. I've never seen a car where it isn't off.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

In most cars the onboard MPG computer is off. The Focus was off by 2 consistently for the time I owned it. I've never seen a car where it isn't off.

My Corvette's is very accurate, it's within a couple of tenths of the calculated MPG. So GM does know how to do it (at least they did back in 1998!)

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I have seen a number that are pretty accurate, their is no technical reason for them to be off.

The technical reason is that they probably load them all with the same software. Most of them get "fuel used" from the MAF which I suspect all have very minor discrepancies in their accuracy and precision.

In my Holden/GTO the fuel used is measured/calculated somehow at the injector itself, iirc. Something to do with the ECM and the pulse width thats being sent to the injectors.

The readout is very accurate and even switches from average mpg readout to gallons per hour when the engine is idling. None of my other GM's have had that ability...curious does your Corvette read GPH at idle Patman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back