2011 Cruze- 1 month review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I am seeing everyone complain about how autos are shifting. I wonder if people just aren't used to 6 speeds, or if the automakers really need to work on their programming.

Most 6 speeds are fine, honestly. The problem with the programming in the Cruze auto is that
1. It tends to shift much higher under light acceleration than necessary, killing gas mileage (shifting in manual mode results in much higher city and combined numbers)
2.It doesn't always shift smoothly. It usually does, but it's inconsistent.

This could all be fixed with a reflash, and I'm actually anticipating one coming out in the near future, but i could be wrong.

Last edited:
If GM doesn't provide an updated reflash to fix the transmissions behavior, there are tuners out there that can do that. There is a program called HPTuners which is the software that was used on my Corvette and one of the things I had adjusted on the programming was the part throttle 3-4 shift, as I didn't like how it shifted far too early. You could easily do the opposite with this program, and have it set up so that the part throttle shifts happen sooner. I also was able to adjust the full throttle shift points (moved them to 6100 rpm instead of 5800) and speed up the shifting time as well so that it didn't lag so long on the shifts. I'm not sure if HPTuners supports the Cruze yet, but if not, eventually they will. The typical cost to get an expert tuner to work his magic on your car's programming is about $400, well worth it when you consider all the benefits it provides (it can also turn on the fans much sooner so the engine doesn't heat up as much in traffic, and it can set up the engine's fuel mapping and timing curve to run more efficiently for better MPG and better horsepower)

Nick, nice review. I think you may come to appreciate a higher shift point; I have in my cars. My Toyota Camry would often upshift as early as it could to preserve fuel economy, and both of my Hondas are opposite of that; they wait to shift until higher in the RPM band. Intuitively, you'd think its wasting fuel that way, but I don't think the difference is that much, and I appreciate having the engine's power if I want it.

One of the things that frustrated me most with the Camry was the transmission. And probably the shift programming and not the transmission itself. Quite frankly, it felt like a Chrysler 41TE. I owned two of those and the minivan at work has one also. They're normally smooth, but if you let off the throttle during a shift, or just before a shift, it'll clunk into the next higher gear. Toyota did come out with a flash for transmission shift programming, but I think all it did was reduce the sensitivity of the gas pedal in the first 25% of travel. Throttle take-up was smoother, but shifting really wasn't.

Otherwise, sounds like a nice car and I'm glad you're happy with it.

Thanks for the great review!! I should be getting my new 2012 Cruze 1LT within a week or so. Really looking forward to it!! Now the question is what brand of oil...I'm thinking PP or Ultra, 5w30. Tom

Originally Posted By: daddi
Thanks for the great review!! I should be getting my new 2012 Cruze 1LT within a week or so. Really looking forward to it!! Now the question is what brand of oil...I'm thinking PP or Ultra, 5w30. Tom

Quaker state ultimate durability seems to be a great choice its what I'm going to put in tomorrow.

Most likely Dexos rated oil as the FF, why ruin a perfectly good oil? Keep it in there till at least 5k miles. Save your money for something else.

All turbo's today are water-cooled as well so reliability is something I would not be concerned with. Even on hot shutdowns heat will siphon away from the turbo bearings via the water jacket.

Glad you enjoy it. I still think I may go back to a TDI even with all these choices...

Changed the oil today, QS UD 5W-30, 4.5qts, and the new ACDelco filter. It was really easy to change the filter, and the oil would be easier but it's very low, so jacking it up is necessary. A oil extractor would make it so you don't even have to get under the car.

Took some pics of the engine bay while I did it. Lots of european parts on this engine. Lots of stuff from Germany, and Czech republic. Took a picture of just a few. Looks like they imported a lot of parts to the Flint Engine plant. They also really liked Bosch on this car.

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

Throttle Body motor and controller
IMG_0713.jpg

Air intake hoses and manifold made by Mann-Hummel in germany
IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

Bosch/ACDelco Alternator, Mexico
IMG_0715.jpg

Electric Fan, Bosch, USA
IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

Nother shot of the TB
IMG_0737.jpg

Shift linkage
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/rudolphna/?action=view&current=IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

Compressor, and the Belt and accessories. The two round metal things at the top are the VVT actuators at the end of the camshafts.

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

Front driver wheel assembly
IMG_0748.jpg

Underneath
IMG_0749.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0717.jpg

Truly a global car
IMG_0732.jpg

This was today. I said 40.8 earlier, I was wrong. This was after a 70 mile highway driver, cruise set about 68mph, with A/C on. ~75f ambient temps. Not bad, not bad at all. This was running 89/Midgrade which seems to help so the timing doesn't retard as much as it does on regular.

IMAG0218.jpg

Last edited:
Just have to watch the rim depth to clear the calipers. So some test-fitting would have to be done.

Reason I'm asking is that 205/70-15 snow tires are cheap and widely available. I also have a set that would need new wheels if I get a Cruze.

Nick, can you please verify your fuel economy on a long trip? I've heard reports that the average FE display is 10% optimistic.

Last edited:
So you were running it in manumatic to huh?
laugh.gif

Impressive numbers, not surprised about needing 5w30 either. Most Turbo's would shear a 20 to quick.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Hmmm, I must have missed class when you bought this car. What happened to the Focus?

Nick missed his Cavalier and felt he was betraying GM for buying a Ford. He felt SO guilty, he got his entire family to trade in all their vehicles on new GM products
grin.gif

Well, that's pretty much how it went, right Nick?
grin.gif

hehehehheheheh

Anyway, he's happy now
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Hmmm, I must have missed class when you bought this car. What happened to the Focus?

Nick missed his Cavalier and felt he was betraying GM for buying a Ford. He felt SO guilty, he got his entire family to trade in all their vehicles on new GM products
grin.gif

grin.gif

hehehehheheheh

Anyway, he's happy now
laugh.gif

LMAO!!!!

More like he convinced them to trade in a beat-to-death Expy and a Focus he was totally not thrilled about driving. At least everybody's happy now.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

grin.gif

grin.gif

hehehehheheheh

Anyway, he's happy now
laugh.gif

LMAO!!!!

More like he convinced them to trade in a beat-to-death Expy and a Focus he was totally not thrilled about driving. At least everybody's happy now.

You forgot the Mustang in there
wink.gif
And not in total agreement on the beat-to-death on the Expie. It had less miles on it than mine from what I recall, and was newer. And for sure was not driven as hard
wink.gif
However, I agree with you completely regarding him not being happy with the Focus. But that goes back with him being a GM guy at heart, which he agreed with the last time I said it to him
grin.gif

NickR,

I know I'm a car nut when I enjoy looking under the hood of a car more than the sheet metal!

Looking at your pics was entertaining, thank you. GM has come a LONG way. Glad to hear you are enjoying the Cruze.

grin.gif

grin.gif

hehehehheheheh

Anyway, he's happy now
laugh.gif

Sort of I guess. I did like the Focus, don't get me wrong. If my parents hadn't decided that they wanted to trade in their cars, I would have kept it.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

grin.gif

grin.gif

hehehehheheheh

Anyway, he's happy now
laugh.gif

LMAO!!!!

You forgot the Mustang in there
wink.gif
And not in total agreement on the beat-to-death on the Expie. It had less miles on it than mine from what I recall, and was newer. And for sure was not driven as hard
wink.gif
However, I agree with you completely regarding him not being happy with the Focus. But that goes back with him being a GM guy at heart, which he agreed with the last time I said it to him
grin.gif

Yeah I am more of a GM guy, don't really know why. Practicality was a big part of it.

Also, I do feel it's worth mentioning that the more miles I put on the car, the better the transmission gets. This shouldn't be news to anyone familiar with these learning transmissions, but it gets better, smoother, and more predictable every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back