2011 Camry oil filter housing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an extra oil filter housing for my Venza because when I crawl underneath to remove the oil filter housing, the extra oil filter housing will already have the filter and o-ring installed - ready to go. The extra oil filter housing is treated as a spin-oil filter. I am not wasting time getting underneath the car twice.

Hey it's an extra $25-$32 for the oil housing, but if plan to keep your car long term. Oil changes will be a joy versus a chore.

It's part of my 'Mise en place' philosophy. Watch master chef Juila prepare her exquisite meals.

By the way, I also use the Fumoto drain valve. I move the Fumoto drain lever and go eat lunch. Bon Appetit!

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
I bought this one on ebay. It comes in two toyota filter sizes: small and large. The guy who designed it was fed-up with cheap oil wrenches on the market. It fits perfectly on the filter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexus-Sci...bb2&vxp=mtr

Good looking tool.

I use a cap wrench and it works fine, every time.

The same cap wrench works for my son's Mazda RX8.

To the OP, looks like you may have the o-ring in the wrong slot.

The cap is threaded and the o-ring goes in the last groove.

The o-ring groove is continuous and does not tie into the threading.

Over time and miss use, Toyota's plastic oil housing flutes will lose its sharp edges and slip using the metal cup. It's plastic on metal.

The tool designer who was frustrated over Toyota's insipid plastic oil housing design replaced/retrofitted his Tundra housing with an all aluminum Venza oil housing. He then made the tool to fit the housing's tab points. The fit is outstanding and done with precision. No wobble. Even if your housing is vertical, it appears that there is enough friction to hold the tool in place.

He knew what he was doing. Currently the tool is at version 2 using hardened steel.

Well, I installed a fresh PL25608 and put on the new o-ring as pictured in the original post. Wrong position or not it did not leak at all for thousands and thousands of miles. I will do it the proper way next time.

The root cause imo of the Toyota's Rube Goldberg canister set up is the location of the filter housing. Because it's on the underside/bottom of the engine facing down, the oil sitting in housing has to be drained out before the filter can be removed.

In my experience the applications with the housing at the top of the engine are far superior, and less steps. They also lend themselves to using an oil extractor with the oil filter change and no need to access the drain plug.

Even top side housing I still prefer spin on applications for ease of installation. Just me.

On the plus side, if not for the Toyota set up the previously noted Toyota oil change youtube would not exist and I wouldn't have gotten such a good laugh. Comments are funny too.

As Easy as Pie : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0xW_zDGez4
Watch the New Toyota oil filter wrench video. [ no apron required ]

easy_as_pie.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back