2011 Camry oil filter housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
Previous oil changes were done by the dealer. Taking off the housing was a PITA. There is no way it should be so tight that the 3/8 drive hole deforms on the cap tool. Do they do that on purpose to discourage DIY? The cap calls for 25 N*m. Here is a picture. Is the O-ring in the right position or should it be on the lower channel? IDK

4ut6j4.jpg

It looks to be at the end of the threads so Id assume so.
21.gif

This is just like dealers over torqueing the drain pan plug.. Who knows why they do it.

The first time I ever changed the oil in my RAV4, I swore I'd never let anyone else do it again. That filter bowl was wedged on so tight I had to use a hammer and a chunk of 2x4 to break it loose.

No matter how gently you put it on, getting it off is hard for some reason. Do you have the correct cap tool? I broke one of those cheap steel ones. Haven't had a problem with the Assenmacher TOY640 tool.

Torque my *%#. They just wrench em on too tight. It shouldn't take much tightening to deform the o-ring to design specs.The Toyota TSB-0104-09 says the torque for the plastic filter housing in 18 ft. lbs.(For some models but probably is same for all)

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Previous oil changes were done by the dealer. Taking off the housing was a PITA. There is no way it should be so tight that the 3/8 drive hole deforms on the cap tool. Do they do that on purpose to discourage DIY? The cap calls for 25 N*m.

No, the cap should not deform if it was tightened to the spec of 25 NMs; that is only about 18 ft/lbs. My Mazda3 has a plastic cartridge cap like that an it only calls for 30 NMs which is about 22 ft/lbs. Too tight like that can crack the plastic cap, spilling your oil out and toasting an engine. This is why I do my own oil changes.

Originally Posted By: hatt
No matter how gently you put it on, getting it off is hard for some reason. Do you have the correct cap tool? I broke one of those cheap steel ones. Haven't had a problem with the Assenmacher TOY640 tool.

Yes it is a cheap Chinese tool

1z3uno8.jpg

However, it fits well and did no damage whatsoever to the housing. Just wish they beefed up the area around the 3/8 square in case the boneheads at the dealer torque it down too hard with their impact tools.

A stamped steel 64mm tool should be sufficient, no need for any fancy cast aluminum tool that cost a fortune.

Since the o range is not compressed against a flat surface like the metal can filter, but a ring seal between the bore and the cap like a piston in a bore, you don't need to worry about torque spec, just tighten it till the end by hand is sufficient.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Originally Posted By: hatt

Yes it is a cheap Chinese tool

However, it fits well and did no damage whatsoever to the housing. Just wish they beefed up the area around the 3/8 square in case the boneheads at the dealer torque it down too hard with their impact tools.

I broke my cheapo 2-3 oil changes in. I assure you I didn't over torque the thing at any time. You can almost screw it on by hand.

The filter cup you have will work but eventually the area where the ratchet goes will wear out. I would highly recommend buying the snap on Toyota filter wrech for 20 bucks because it's well worth it. Instead of using the 3/8's hole to put the ratchet, it takes a 24mm socket which gives you more torque when removing. The filter was pretty tight but nothing compared to a Carolla that came in to a quick lube so tight we had to jar it loose with an impact gun. That was not fun.

I don't know who designed the Toyota cartridge set up but it is terribly over engineered. Basically a pita imo. Want to watch something comical on the topic, google 'friggin toyota oil change'. Funny but instructive too. Won't embed because of language, not very bad but easy enough to google. If this was the standard or average cartridge change, diy types would all be singing the praises of spin on applications.

According to the youtube noted above, it appears the large housing o-ring is on the correct place.

A nice trick: Once you carefully perform a correct-torque installation, mark the position on the cap and housing. This way, you can see what the right position is with a glance.

If you have someone else change the oil filter, tell them to line up the marks (preferably white paint on a dark background).

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
I bought this one on ebay. It comes in two toyota filter sizes: small and large. The guy who designed it was fed-up with cheap oil wrenches on the market. It fits perfectly on the filter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexus-Sci...bb2&vxp=mtr

I cannot load that eBay page. Could you just provide the 12 digit listing number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back