2011 BMW 335d and 2020 Ford F250 6.7 Powerstroke

Gotcha. Chain issues as well in the 3.0l Gen 2. So much so, Porsche halved the drain interval because of the wear and fact it’s tuned slightly different. As such, the VW/Audi have issues beyond 80k with retarding the timing by as much as 8-12 degrees (which is a lot!). Most Cayennes that followed the 5k regime (even some with 6-7k for all Highway), are seeing 4 at most with 140k as the highest I’ve seen.
It's a hard road attempting to fix a mechanical defect with the oil isn't it?

Well, that’s why sometimes you “pay” for a company to realize the shortcomings by halving an interval and enforcing it. Porsche has goofed a few times and one in particular that is known across the world. But they’ve since and prior backed many issues that have arisen whether their fault or not. That 4% (worse case as many are at 2%) retarding is on C30 spec oil. There are many 40 weights far better out there. I never fell into the .8%ash trap as my DPF isn’t worth a motor. On top of that, pre em update used significantly less DPF and EGR which is easier all around. Worth forgoing the nearly $12k they wanted us to take. Funny now the vehicles that haven’t been touched are going for that and more because of how they are (thank you Bosch and Porsche).

Regarding oil, I will have to add about 12 oz every 3-5k depending on how my wife used. T6 which I suspect is evaporated/consumed much like yours. T6 has done that for all the vehicles actually which I didn’t see as a big deal. In addition, I only fill to 3/4 to reduce blowby/wind age.

Didn’t know the 335 used the CP3. I might have to look for one…..that hasn’t had 12-15k intervals. I suspect the fill capacity is 6-8qts?

We’re a family of 1.9l VW’s, and 2.1l Merc Sprinter.

Having a lift pump on the CP4.2 has decreased issues with running on oxygen (the suspected big killer) during a loss of prime.

Very nice. Easy peasy. I know BMW specs a 5w-30 for it. Same for the Cayenne, but never saw 5w-30 except factory fill. Have you shown the results to those respective forums?
BMW spec is LL04 which can be either a 30w or 40w.
Well, that’s why sometimes you “pay” for a company to realize the shortcomings by halving an interval and enforcing it. Porsche has goofed a few times and one in particular that is known across the world. But they’ve since and prior backed many issues that have arisen whether their fault or not. That 4% (worse case as many are at 2%) retarding is on C30 spec oil. There are many 40 weights far better out there. I never fell into the .8%ash trap as my DPF isn’t worth a motor. On top of that, pre em update used significantly less DPF and EGR which is easier all around. Worth forgoing the nearly $12k they wanted us to take. Funny now the vehicles that haven’t been touched are going for that and more because of how they are (thank you Bosch and Porsche).

Regarding oil, I will have to add about 12 oz every 3-5k depending on how my wife used. T6 which I suspect is evaporated/consumed much like yours. T6 has done that for all the vehicles actually which I didn’t see as a big deal. In addition, I only fill to 3/4 to reduce blowby/wind age.

Didn’t know the 335 used the CP3. I might have to look for one…..that hasn’t had 12-15k intervals. I suspect the fill capacity is 6-8qts?

We’re a family of 1.9l VW’s, and 2.1l Merc Sprinter.

Having a lift pump on the CP4.2 has decreased issues with running on oxygen (the suspected big killer) during a loss of prime.
The biggest issue with the 335d is carbon build up due to heavy dosing via the high pressure EGR. The other thing is that the 6 speed AT isn't geared well for city driving. Piezo injectors aren't cheap either. Also the OCI is around 12k miles.

Last edited:
BMW spec is LL04 which can be either a 30w or 40w.

The biggest issue with the 335d is carbon build up due to heavy dosing via the high pressure EGR. The other thing is that the 6 speed AT isn't geared well for city driving. Piezo injectors aren't cheap either. Also the OCI is around 12k miles.
Which adds soot and invariably overcomes dispersants that lead to significant retarding of the chain….

12k in a 6-8l sump is absurd with a working EGR/SCR/DPF…..
I’m thankful that I had a father that instilled prudence in taking care of vehicle oneself instead of relying on another……

Your vehicle and mine are a dying breed that many will NEVER fork over $12k to repair the chain. It will end up parted for scrap.

Exactly, it's based on the HT/HS. Grade is a result not a determinant.
Indeed. HTHS is only one factor of the equation. Last I “looked,” the aforementioned determinant doesn’t indicate whether BMW’s EGR heavy Diesel and VW/Audi’s excessive interval addresses the root issue: Chain Wear. I’d say HTHS is factor 2 or 3 on the totem. Soot and Dispersant integrity are the main issues.

When mentioning a 40 weight, nearly 75% on the market are Diesel oriented. Sure, some 0w-40 make it in there with Euro targeting, but 5-40/15-40 are the key players. Even then, those grades on face will not indicate whether they hold bill at maintaining particulate suspension in a surpassing form to help hold/alleviate wear….

As a side, passed my idea on to Driven’s engineers over the phone about using the DT40 in pre 06 Diesels. They said they would pass and move over to the DP40 solely based upon dispersant levels…..not sure if marketing or legit….

We all know that these modern ethyl spec engines create soot at levels not seen in the past….

Indeed. HTHS is only one factor of the equation. Last I “looked,” the aforementioned determinant doesn’t indicate whether BMW’s EGR heavy Diesel and VW/Audi’s excessive interval addresses the root issue: Chain Wear. I’d say HTHS is factor 2 or 3 on the totem. Soot and Dispersant integrity are the main issues.

When mentioning a 40 weight, nearly 75% on the market are Diesel oriented. Sure, some 0w-40 make it in there with Euro targeting, but 5-40/15-40 are the key players. Even then, those grades on face will not indicate whether they hold bill at maintaining particulate suspension in a surpassing form to help hold/alleviate wear….

The M57 does not have timing chain issues. Tuning the engine, which is very common, can cause problems. Perhaps you're thinking the N47. That was a design failure. No oil will fix that.

Now if you're using the wrong oil it's entirely possible that you could increase wear on the timing chain. Some overly additized oils will result in excessive wear over time.

I might have over generalized about BMW’s issues. Excessive intervals lead to wear. VW/Audi/Porsche I know very well whereas BMW’s not as much. EGR usage does lead increases particulates in that oil. Wear has many paths. I know that much.

Back