2011 BMW 335d and 2020 Ford F250 6.7 Powerstroke

I am attaching my oil samples from my tuned 2011 335d and my 2020 F250 with the PSD. This was the first oil change with the PSD and I put back in there the factory fill oil because of warranty and I know that Ford has certain requirements, but I am looking to use a different kind in the future as I dont love the Ford Motorcraft oils, they work ok, but there is better out there.
Let me know what you guys think, running Motul Xcess 5w40 in the BMW.

Attachments

• 11 335D-201110.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20 F250-210227.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 67
Not much you can tell from the F250 as its breaking in. From your 335d the iron seems a bit high but it does have 128K miles. Given the silicon I would examine the complete air intake system for a leak. I think Blackstone dismissed the high silicon too easily.

335d

IMO Everything looks normal. The reality is that all oils for the same application perform essentially the same.

The iron is 50 percent lower than their universal average for the M57.

New sample on the 335d. Fixed a boost leak and got rid of the silicone. Had some 300V 5W40 laying around and this stuff is stout. May be worth it.

Screenshot (154).jpg

What version of the 5w-40 300v did you use? I see they have the Power and Competition versions.

I have a non-emission update (a real screwy sit. complimentary of gov) and “straight” Cayenne TD. Been running T6 5w-40 since day one with no issue, but have access to 300v Power for a good deal.

Its my daily driver, mostly highway with some city, probably 70/30. Occasional flooring to clear the pipes but mostly steady highway cruising at 70 ish mph. Sees about 120 miles a day 4 times a week plus weekend driving.
It has been amazing as a daily.

Gotcha. You’re really easy on the oil. Not saying it isn’t stout, but that’s ideal conditions. Glad you enjoy.

Our Cayenne returns 29mpg in Sport whilst giving it the beans in the country. We’ve got other Diesels in the fold as well. Diesels in the SUV/Sedan are long to be lived…..

Don't disagree, ideal car for the commute. Diesel Cayennes are nice, but this car was cheap and its ideal, averaging 38 mpg with plenty of power.

Very nice. Easy peasy. I know BMW specs a 5w-30 for it. Same for the Cayenne, but never saw 5w-30 except factory fill. Have you shown the results to those respective forums?

BMW diesel forums. You may have a Wed motor vice some Friday’s…. My Wife’s Cayenne has been great. Last one on the assembly for that year and is a treat to drive. I’m sure you’ve considered the 35d SUV….

I’m debating of putting this or the DT40 in the diesels. I’ve got so much of T6 5w-40 and Delvac Extreme that id just sell it off at even or a little more since I bought a while back/rebate (5 Germans between 3 Manu’s) with largest taking 12litres.

The two boutique from Driven and Motul can be had at a great price point. DT40 compares pretty similar to 300v Power 5w-40….

Would be curious to know the starting TBN of the Power. Seems DT40 is about 10.5-11

That is a proper spec sheet. So I know some people were having chain issues in the M57/N57s, most appear to have been in cars with the OEM OCI (15k miles) and since this is my forever commuter until it explodes I am trying to avoid it. Also, had oil burn off with Rotella (1 quart every 3k miles) and none with the Xcess 5W40, which I found odd, then absolutely none with the 300V which I used as an experimental run but I will probably go back to it.

Gotcha. Chain issues as well in the 3.0l Gen 2. So much so, Porsche halved the drain interval because of the wear and fact it’s tuned slightly different. As such, the VW/Audi have issues beyond 80k with retarding the timing by as much as 8-12 degrees (which is a lot!). Most Cayennes that followed the 5k regime (even some with 6-7k for all Highway), are seeing 4 at most with 140k as the highest I’ve seen.

I wonder what’s going to happen now that BMW issued a recall for the CP 4.2? Our Cayenne has been trouble free. But I’m particular to it’s maintenance with only myself touching it.

Mine is a CP3, the 328d has the CP4.2. I do actually believe that the CP4 issues have been fixed, my 2020 Powerstroke seems troublefree (low mileage), but I know of a lot of 6.7s on the road with 200k plus on the factory pump. Maintenance is key.

Back