2010 Range Rover HSE

I found one with 54k, one owner cream puff with a clean Carfax and a ton of dealer service records. How bad of an idea is this? Design flaws? Are they all "junk? It would not be a daily driver, likely less than 5k per year.

All aged luxury cars are cheap for a reason, one single repair could cost more than the car is worth. Unless you can do your own work and have the appropriate diagnostic scan tool, the general advice is to stay away. Now if it looks and runs very nice and has been fully serviced, it might be worth the gamble.

I'm not going to say "Buy" or "Run, Forest, run!", but I had a co-worker buy one similar to what you describe. Right at ten years old, fairly low miles and it was to be used for the daughter going to college. They didn't ask for my opinion and I just secretly rolled my eyes because nobody in that family could maintain a car. I didn't feel that it was the right vehicle for a college kid, but what do I know?. Right after they bought it, it was in the shop getting a new ECM and continued to be in the shop regularly until they parted ways.
I would do a hard scrutiny on why the owner is parting ways with the one you are looking to purchase.

I found one with 54k, one owner cream puff with a clean Carfax and a ton of dealer service records. How bad of an idea is this? Design flaws? Are they all "junk? It would not be a daily driver, likely less than 5k per year.
Did you edit your post? I thought you mentioned it was being sold for a low price. What are they asking?

I've had many English cars over decades. After years of honest, sometimes painful reflection on ownership my conclusion is they ought to stay in the

1633267263394.jpeg

the car is kind a bastard designed by BMW and finished during ford ownership. that was the first year of the 5.0 engine and they have issues.

if you want a land rover look for the LR3, it’s much better thought out

I was watching an Edd China video and he remembered a saying that he had heard, I can’t remember word for word but I believe it was, “If you want to get deep into the bush, take a Range Rover, if you want to get out, take a Toyota.”
There again, I’m a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep guy, so who am I to say anything according to most people. 🤔😏
Anyway, I would be worried about the expense of failures down the road with this vehicle as opposed to those of a Jeep or something a little less “luxury”. If that makes any sense to you. 👍

I was watching an Edd China video and he remembered a saying that he had heard, I can’t remember word for word but I believe it was, “If you want to get deep into the bush, take a Range Rover, if you want to get out, take a Toyota.”
There again, I’m a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep guy, so who am I to say anything according to most people. 🤔😏
Anyway, I would be worried about the expense of failures down the road with this vehicle as opposed to those of a Jeep or something a little less “luxury”. If that makes any sense to you. 👍
Range Rover and Jeep guy crashed on the trail and subsequently shared a hospital room.
Doctor came in - said hello and asked the Jeeper where the RR driver was.
He‘s right there under the bed trying to find problems …😷

Do you want one and are you familiar enough with them to make an informed decision? If you really want one and know what you are getting into, then have at it, but they can be needy and is a '10 cool or distinctive enough to be worth the pain and effort? I'd say no, but that's me.

RR's are not as bad as many folks say, but are they Honda or Toyota??? No, they cant be for many reasons and they do not age very well. Parts are expensive, however there are aftermarket sources and a good local indy is a go/no go issue, seriously. You will be replacing air suspension components...or going to coils.

I had '13 & '15 Sports and '18 HSE diesel, my favorite. I admit I am a fan of them but I would never buy one until they got batter, and '10 is about when they were getting better, and I never keep one past 90k or so (sort of a sweet spot between neediness and remaining value). Mine were fine, they all had niggling issues when new and typical issues as they aged but never failed to start or left me stranded, They were certainly much easier to own then any of the string of Grand Cherokees I had before them.

All the above said, there is something about British interiors and design. I have an MB now and while it is hands down a better vehicle (appliance?) by most measures, I plan to be back in a RR next.

Oh, one hint; when folks rant about LR's reliability, ask how many they've owned....goes for any make actually.

the V6 was an underpowered turd and had a 6hp26 behind it.

99% of them have the 4.4 jag v8 which is a very good piece of equipment
I always thought the LR3 used the 5R55?

Also, there was a clandestine project to LS swap certain years of Range Rovers from the old Rover V8. It involved keeping the stock Lucas or Sagem ECM in order to keep the ABS/ESP and body electrical happy.

I tried to find a link, however I came up empty. The gist of the article was a guy buying a used RR through CarMax and springing for the top level service contract at sale time, purely for the purpose to see how much it would have to pay out due to the depressing reliability of Land Rover vehicles.

I believe the contract cost something like $3,500 over the price of the truck and carried a $100 deductible. Every time it broke down, he would take it to his local LR dealer, pay the $100, and spend however long the repairs took wooshing around in a brand new loaner from the dealer.

Last I saw, the warranty company had paid out nearly $15k for repairs in the few years he owned the thing.

Back