2010 Range Rover HSE

I tried to find a link, however I came up empty. The gist of the article was a guy buying a used RR through CarMax and springing for the top level service contract at sale time, purely for the purpose to see how much it would have to pay out due to the depressing reliability of Land Rover vehicles.

I believe the contract cost something like $3,500 over the price of the truck and carried a $100 deductible. Every time it broke down, he would take it to his local LR dealer, pay the $100, and spend however long the repairs took wooshing around in a brand new loaner from the dealer.

Last I saw, the warranty company had paid out nearly $15k for repairs in the few years he owned the thing.

the guy’s videos are almost unwatchable.
isn’t particularly bad and the dealer wasn’t milking carmax hard enough.

Last edited:
I was watching an Edd China video and he remembered a saying that he had heard, I can’t remember word for word but I believe it was, “If you want to get deep into the bush, take a Range Rover, if you want to get out, take a Toyota.”
Amen to this! Honestly I would much rather take a higher mileage Toyota/Lexus. Yes, they are "simpler" in terms of luxury, but they will also hit half a million miles and will only lose a little percentage of the resale value. Something like this comes to mind: https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/79699676

the guy’s videos are almost unwatchable. dealer milked carmax

Yep, of course it was DeMuro. I find him to be unbelievably abrasive as well, from his voice to his commentary. I was simply using his experience as an example. I work on many Rovers, none of which have been terribly reliable compared to the competition.

Also, the dealer didn't milk CarMax. Doug took his truck to LR to have it repaired, which is his choice. He constantly refers to CarMax in regards to who footed the bill, however I'm almost positive that CarMax doesn't actually back the service contracts they sell. That would be a foolish business model.

As far as I'm concerned, good on him. 99% of those "extended warranty" companies rake in millions of dollars while paying out as little on claims as possible. If CarMax really is the brains behind their service contracts, I'd bet money that it's a separate division that handles claims.

Yep, of course it was DeMuro. I find him to be unbelievably abrasive as well, from his voice to his commentary. I was simply using his experience as an example. I work on many Rovers, none of which have been terribly reliable compared to the competition.

Also, the dealer didn't milk CarMax. Doug took his truck to LR to have it repaired, which is his choice. He constantly refers to CarMax in regards to who footed the bill, however I'm almost positive that CarMax doesn't actually back the service contracts they sell. That would be a foolish business model.

As far as I'm concerned, good on him. 99% of those "extended warranty" companies rake in millions of dollars while paying out as little on claims as possible. If CarMax really is the brains behind their service contracts, I'd bet money that it's a separate division that handles claims.
meant to say the dealer didn’t milk them hard enough. all the repairs were pretty cheap for a dealer even out of pocket. certainly wouldn’t be like that on a newer model where 5 figures in a single visit are normal

I tried to find a link, however I came up empty. The gist of the article was a guy buying a used RR through CarMax and springing for the top level service contract at sale time, purely for the purpose to see how much it would have to pay out due to the depressing reliability of Land Rover vehicles.

I believe the contract cost something like $3,500 over the price of the truck and carried a $100 deductible. Every time it broke down, he would take it to his local LR dealer, pay the $100, and spend however long the repairs took wooshing around in a brand new loaner from the dealer.

Last I saw, the warranty company had paid out nearly $15k for repairs in the few years he owned the thing.
I think I know who - it’s someone on Jalopnik or one of the car blogs associated with Doug Munro.

I tried to do the same thing with my Genesis. Made it to $11k in repairs and had a lot of warranty left, but I traded it for my Tesla. Oh well.

They are honestly solid if you are willing to pay some money to keep them in good shape. Things go wrong, parts are expensive, parts take forever to arrive, but it’s mainly EAS issues with struts leaking and valve blocks going bad(instability at high speeds), some timing/cam issues on the 5.0/5.0SC if oil wasn’t changed on time. All these repairs are fairly well documented but diagnosing it is very tricky. EAS has a lot of aftermarket support so the parts aren’t too crazy expensive. it’s the valve train issues that’ll rob you.

I would never own another Range Rover again unless it was new and I sold it within 3 years. I do my own work and it still infuriates me as to how poorly designed Land Rovers are. Even modern 2016+

Found a clean, dealer serviced 2013 Range Rover Sport with 24k. Flew out and drove it back over 550 miles with no issues. It has an intermittent Suspension warning light, but everything including the suspension works fine. I'll be putting coil overs on when the system fails. Beautiful, powerful, smooth.

Found a clean, dealer serviced 2013 Range Rover Sport with 24k. Flew out and drove it back over 550 miles with no issues. It has an intermittent Suspension warning light, but everything including the suspension works fine. I'll be putting coil overs on when the system fails. Beautiful, powerful, smooth.
I thoroughly enjoyed my '13 RR Sport. Congrats and enjoy.

Back