2010 Kia Forte 2.0

Long story short m daughter totaled her Hyundai and ins co.paid out . She said she was done with car payments so called m buddy that runs a good sized dealership ....he just took this Kia in on a trade,,,,,,,daughter likes it she has cash left over for what ever and I get one of my cars back

What should I be watching for on maint or problems with the 2.0

Try to find a Corolla up to 2012. They still had the 4 speed Aisin transmission. I have KIAs but wouldn't trust a used 12 year old one.

You didn't mention the mileage, but if car is more than $6000 and 150k miles, I'd walk away. The 2.0L is more reliable than the 2.4L, but still less reliable than similar offerings from other brands. Around 2010 these engines had some wristpin issues, where those seized up and created ventilation holes in the block. Usually random, without a warning.
I'd look at (as mentioned above) a Toyota Corolla, maybe even a Toyota Camry, but it may be a little pricier. Do not touch RAV4 from that era, lots of issues: from falling apart interiors, to oil burning 4 cylinders (V6 has great power though), to electrical gremlins, to self destructing AWD systems. Stay away basically...
Toyota Matrix comes to mind, as well as its twin Pontiac Vibe. Stay away from 2.4L in both, but 1.8L is great. (Pre-2008 Matrix/Vibe had 2 different 1.8L, but something tells me you'll be looking at an automatic, so that eliminates the fun 1.8L, as it only comes with 6MT.)
Honda Accord, or Civic (2008+, as 2006/2007 had cracking block issues), or Fit are great options too from same era. CRV is great as well, but "crossover tax" is real...
Scion xA is good, based on Toyota Yaris, just a little more attractive. Its replacement, Scion xD, is bigger and more powerful, based on Corolla platform.

Last edited:
Try to find a Corolla up to 2012. They still had the 4 speed Aisin transmission. I have KIAs but wouldn't trust a used 12 year old one.
You can get the 4spd which is just known to refuse to die up until 2016. The new model came out in 2014 but for 2 years the base model had the 4spd with the optional cvt. 2017 and beyond only the cvt is available.

@1 SX has one that generation. My favorite looking Forte. It is multiport fuel injection and is not plagued like the GDI Theta II that came later. Everyone just loves to bash H/K and will use any post to get that urge out of their system. If the car was well maintained it’s no better or worse than any other used car.

You didn't mention the mileage, but if car is more than $6000 and 150k miles, I'd walk away. The 2.0L is more reliable than the 2.4L, but still less reliable than similar offerings from other brands. Around 2010 these engines had some wristpin issues, where those seized up and created ventilation holes in the block. Usually random, without a warning.
I'd look at (as mentioned above) a Toyota Corolla, maybe even a Toyota Camry, but it may be a little pricier. Do not touch RAV4 from that era, lots of issues: from falling apart interiors, to oil burning 4 cylinders (V6 has great power though), to electrical gremlins, to self destructing AWD systems. Stay away basically...
Toyota Matrix comes to mind, as well as its twin Pontiac Vibe. Stay away from 2.4L in both, but 1.8L is great. (Pre-2008 Matrix/Vibe had 2 different 1.8L, but something tells me you'll be looking at an automatic, so that eliminates the fun 1.8L, as it only comes with 6MT.)
Honda Accord, or Civic (2008+, as 2006/2007 had cracking block issues), or Fit are great options too from same era. CRV is great as well, but "crossover tax" is real...
Scion xA is good, based on Toyota Yaris, just a little more attractive. Its replacement, Scion xD, is bigger and more powerful, based on Corolla platform.
Thank you for your thoughts we got it with 105k on the clock at 6650 out zhe door and car Fax maintenance records were good

Back