2010 Ford Fusion 2.5L I-4 rod knock when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like a problem with the antidrainback valve in your oil filter. I had an 08 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.8 and these were notorious for being picky about what oil filter you ran. Mobil 1 filters are a great filter, but for some reason, the ADBV did not work on this particular engine. The Amsoil filters were known to have this issue every once in awhile on this engine as well, maybe your engine doesn't like them. I would try the Motorcraft filter for you application, I switched to these when I had my jeep and never had a dry start problem again.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
No need for 5w30. Those engines have great oil pressure with 5w20. Great as in, 100+ psi on a cold start and 15+ psi during hot summer idle.

I would try different oil brands, just to see. If it were me I'd try PYB first.

Are you using a Motorcraft oil filter as well? FL910s I believe?

15 psi sounds a bit low? Isn't 25-30 psi more of the norm for modern engines?

Rod knock does not go away when they engine warms up. You may be hearing a dull knocking sound, but I would put money on it NOT being a rod bearing clearance issue.

timing chain?
hydraulic chain tensioner?

VCT actuator?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Pennzoil conventional

I recommend this as well. But if you don`t want to try PYB,give QS or FS a try (I`m willing to bet their almost clones). You`ll be suprised at how Pennzoil yb can smooth out an engine.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
It sounds like a problem with the antidrainback valve in your oil filter. I had an 08 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.8 and these were notorious for being picky about what oil filter you ran. Mobil 1 filters are a great filter, but for some reason, the ADBV did not work on this particular engine. The Amsoil filters were known to have this issue every once in awhile on this engine as well, maybe your engine doesn't like them. I would try the Motorcraft filter for you application, I switched to these when I had my jeep and never had a dry start problem again.

Nope, it's not the filter as it is dead verticle. Also if it's like my Fusion it has a cartridge filter. If it does have a spin on filter like my Focus the ABBV is at the top.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
You received a lot of quality reponse in this thread.
Pleasse post the solution so we all benefit.

I'll be sure to post the results when I change oils. This oil is pretty fresh though, so it won't be for a while. I haven't heard the noise in a few days, but I've been driving every day and it hasn't been as cold. Only after cold soaks of 3+ days...

I can clearly hear injector noise and I believe I can hear the piston slap people reference. It is a much quieter sound than the knock I was hearing after a long cold soak. Hopefully an oil change and going back to oem filters will solve the problem.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: afoulk

Nope, it's not the filter as it is dead verticle. Also if it's like my Fusion it has a cartridge filter. If it does have a spin on filter like my Focus the ABBV is at the top.

My 2010 has a vertical spin-on filter, not a cartridge.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cartmanea
Oh well, I'm not going to keep the car more than another year anyway.

shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back