200K mile engine, oil pickup almost sludged closed. Cause?

I'm going to speculate that short trips by the previous owner, and 5 k changes, led to moisture and some sludge. The OP with a better regimine has cleaned the sludge to some degree and its evident on the pickup screen.

Even with decent oils, lots of short trips without full warm ups lead to sludge.
That's very possible! So since my mother has retired her driving habits have gone from miles per gallon to months per gallon. Her 2010 Mazda 3 has about 65-70,000 miles on it.

I had this happen to a Toyota 23R. I discovered it by doing a timing chain replacement at 110000 . It would have a mild rattle at start up. What happened was the oil chain tensioner was slow. A piece of the chain guide broke off and wound up at the valve springs. Chewed it up. I swapped everything. Dropped pan. Plastic all in the pickup screen. Might not be exactly the same. But could be plastic from the chain guides. Mine was green. Good luck. WarDawg.

I had this happen to a Toyota 23R. I discovered it by doing a timing chain replacement at 110000 . It would have a mild rattle at start up. What happened was the oil chain tensioner was slow. A piece of the chain guide broke off and wound up at the valve springs. Chewed it up. I swapped everything. Dropped pan. Plastic all in the pickup screen. Might not be exactly the same. But could be plastic from the chain guides. Mine was green. Good luck. WarDawg.
The car has a timing belt, not a chain.

Back