200k+ 1994 accord - ATF to do or not to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That depends on how long you plan to keep it, lol...

If the fluid looks good and it doesn't have any Honda shift issues, I would not change it yet.

We need it for another year or two hopefully. I've always been a preventative maint. kinda guy though. I'll check for visual discoloration and smell next time I can get a hold of the car.

I would say change it using the Honda DW-1.

I did 3x drain/fill/drive with DW-1 on my Accord at 165k miles. Transmission ran like a dream but the engine had other issues.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Has it ever been changed? If not, I would not change it. If you have changed it, go ahead and do it again.

+1

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
I would say change it using the Honda DW-1.

I did 3x drain/fill/drive with DW-1 on my Accord at 165k miles. Transmission ran like a dream

This....and as long as the fluid looks ok and it drives fine like another poster mentioned...change it BEFORE you have a problem.

do 1 x Drain and Fill with Maxlife ATF. Drive for a couple of weeks, see how it does. This way you arent shocking the transmission. And believe me, you will feel a difference, even with just one drain and fill.

Originally Posted By: bourne
do 1 x Drain and Fill with Maxlife ATF. Drive for a couple of weeks, see how it does. This way you arent shocking the transmission. And believe me, you will feel a difference, even with just one drain and fill.

I like and may use this idea. It makes sense. Would you recommend after a few weeks or a few thousand miles to do drain and fill again?

I was also thinking of splicing in a magnefine filter before doing the drain and fill. What does the community think of those filters? Wix has a magnefine clone like filter. P/N - 58953 $14.41 @ Rockauto

The filter is a great idea. I'm using one on my old CRV. I might be inclined to splice it in later so it's filtering new and not old fluid.

Agree to do a 1x change and drive for a couple thousand miles, then do it again.

i would be conservative here.

I would do 3 drain/fills, each along with the scheduled oil change.

love the inline filters. not a bad idea in case the new fluid knocks some form of debris loose. Make sure you get it installed in the proper flow direction. install it with the first atf service, change it again at the 3rd, and be done.

fluid choice. Nobody here will have a crystal ball. there is no right/wrong proven by science--- just we all have our unique experiences. I have had 1 poor maxlife experience in an otherwise fine honda AT. most people here have not had that problem. I like maxlife in an old engine-- it works. I would worry about changing ATF chemistries if the seals were getting ready to give up. we don't know the condition of yours. Over treating seals with seal conditioner can improve their performance but also weaken them, increasing the wear rate. DW-1 will be a change in chemistry-- which may or may not impact seals. but if there is not a known seal/pressure/shift problem, I'd probably avoid it.

are you certain your trans came with Z-1? at some point they used to be dex.

If it's a Z1 car, I would probably vote DW-1 (or amsoil). if you don't have a problem with leaky seals (external and internal) now, I wouldn't introduce extra chemicals. If it is shifting sluggishly or acting balky, yes I would jump on maxlife.

note there are a lot of MaxLife fans here, several honda owners have gone to it. It's got a generous additive package and people here recognize that. You are in a unique situation with having such a high mileage vehice, that may have oem fluid, that is still working properly. not everyone has all 3 considerations.

I would change it... as someone above said, you will feel a difference.

PS-- my mom has a civic with 270k+ miles on it. I do an occasional drain/fill with amsoil when she rolls into town. no leaks, no slips, no flares. I didn't touch it until she asked me to look at it around 220k. so similar situation. I didn't bother with a filter-- it made it this far without knowing if the regular services she gets for it have included the ATF.

good luck

Originally Posted By: DCorwin822

I like and may use this idea. It makes sense. Would you recommend after a few weeks or a few thousand miles to do drain and fill again?

I was also thinking of splicing in a magnefine filter before doing the drain and fill. What does the community think of those filters? Wix has a magnefine clone like filter. P/N - 58953 $14.41 @ Rockauto

Magnefine makes a good filter. Personally, I wouldnt worry about a filter. I would invest in a very powerful magnetic drain plug, in case there are "floaties" in the fluid. I would do a drain and fill every other oil change ( or 10k miles , whichever comes first ). Gives plenty of time for your trans to adjust, and its not all new fluid going on a cleaning frenzy, but more of a refresh of the old fluid.

Like someone mentioned, there are alot of fluid choices for your vehicle ( I do think it was spec'd for Dex/Merc III but I could be wrong ). I have had excellent results with Maxlife on two Honda vehicles, hence my recommendation. Others might tell you differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back