Questions about Volvo xc60 tranny fluid change

Hey all, so I obtained the full carfax for this new (to me) 2012 XC60 and it had 15 pages of service records from the dealer and local mom and pop Volvo mechanic. It looks like it was maintained well but I see nothing regarding a tranny fluid change. This thing has 200K mi. and I'd like to do a spill and fill when I do the first oil change. Looking around online I'm unsure of ATF to be used. It's the 3.2 with what I think is a Japanese 6 speed tranny (Aisin maybe?). I think it calls for AW-1 and it looks like a lot of folks use Toyota ATF-WS in it. I want to me 100% certain I'm buying the right stuff so I'll yield to the expert volvo owners.

If it shares the same transmission as the XC90 then Valvoline Import Multi Vehicle, Mobil 3309, or genuine Toyota T-IV are the general options. I think i'll use the Valvoline when going into a transmission service shop on mine unless they recommend something else.

Aisin Type WS. Watch lots of YT videos on this because it's not a simple task. Just getting to the fill hole requires removing air intake components and they have one of those fill height pins in the drain plug that is a bit more complex than just a normal drain plug.

I use the site ipdusa.com. They're a site specializing in Volvo parts and accessories. Input the vehicle year and model and it will show you compatible parts. They sell Volvo branded and close OEM brands.

Aisin Type WS. Watch lots of YT videos on this because it's not a simple task. Just getting to the fill hole requires removing air intake components and they have one of those fill height pins in the drain plug that is a bit more complex than just a normal drain plug.

I use the site ipdusa.com. They're a site specializing in Volvo parts and accessories. Input the vehicle year and model and it will show you compatible parts. They sell Volvo branded and close OEM brands.
Yep, I binged on some YT videos as well. I ordered the 55mm hex and the 17mm allen socket and 8 quarts of the Aisin WS from rockauto. It's about the same price as Valvoline Maxlife anyway so why not use the correct one.
I don't think I'll be disconnecting those hoses to do a full flush. Just a gentle 4 quarts at a time. I don't want to rock the boat with 200K on the clock and no tranny fluid service to date.

If it shares the same transmission as the XC90 then Valvoline Import Multi Vehicle, Mobil 3309, or genuine Toyota T-IV are the general options. I think i'll use the Valvoline when going into a transmission service shop on mine unless they recommend something else.
It does. It's a very common tranny in over 100 different cars.

Last edited:
The transmission is common, but there were two versions. First gen used JW3309 (Toyota Type IV) and the newer second gen use JW3324 (Toyota WS).

I have an '13 XC60 with that trans and a '16 XC90, which uses the 8 speed Aisin. I use Idemitsu TLS-LV and have used Aisin ATF WS. Both have worked great. Toyota WS is probably the exact fluid in the Volvo container market AW1.

Volvo cutover to Gen 2 occurred around 2010 model year depending on model.

The transmission is common, but there were two versions. First gen used JW3309 (Toyota Type IV) and the newer second gen use JW3324 (Toyota WS).

I have an '13 XC60 with that trans and a '16 XC90, which uses the 8 speed Aisin. I use Idemitsu TLS-LV and have used Aisin ATF WS. Both have worked great. Toyota WS is probably the exact fluid in the Volvo container market AW1.

Volvo cutover to Gen 2 occurred around 2010 model year depending on model.
You scared me there, so 2012 should definitely be the newer 2nd gen revision no?

As a 3 time Volvo owner, I had very good service with amsoil low viscosity synthetic ATF (signature series) with an added magnefine inline filter. This combination actually reversed a 1-2 shift flare in the 2005 s60 we had, a common issue with them. Rare to see something like that solve an issue like that, but over the course of 15k miles the condition went away after doing this. Ymmv.

Back