2009 Scion Xb 128k PP 5w30 Fram Ultra 3.5k interval

2009 Scion Xb 2.4l 2AZ-FE, 128k miles
Short 3.5k 8 month OCI with 5w30 PP and Fram Ultra
IMG_9748.jpg

I was pleasantly suprised at the result I got back. I am running a K&N short ram intake with a red k&n rock catcher filter. I had some concerns with the filtration abilities with the air filter especially since it was a very dusty summer here.

I added almost 3/4 of a quart makeup oil I *think* I used valvoline 5w30 synpower high mileage. The car is an oil burner, the amount varies though the consumption is far below the warranty threshold for the campaign to remedy the issue.

I run the car hard, frequently running it to red line, full throttle acceleration and high rpm deceleration. It gets bounced of the rev limiter occasionally.

Some short trips, with plenty of highway trips thrown in.

I wonder if the Fram Ultra filter made up for the subpar k&n filter, car seen plenty of dusty conditions.

Not sure about the sodium, there is no noticable coolant loss, although it probably doesn't take much. Did it come from the valvoline? Road salt dust? I dont know.

I normally go with 5k OCIs on this vehicle, I typically run 0w20 or 5w20 in winter and 5w30 in summer. Vehicle uses more oil in the winter, during a cold start I believe I smell a hint of burning oil from the eexhaust when its really cold.

I was going to put a better air filter on the short ram intake, however I may just run what it has, try a 5k or 6k interval and see how levels look. The thing is rust will get this vehicle before the mileage does.

I like the intake, it sounds good to me and gives the car the slightest bit more performance.

Good wear numbers.

Synpower has a good dose of sodium in it but at such a small makeup level theres more to it. Something to look into.

Don't be afraid to run it hard when it is warmed up. Engines are made to use their RPM range. You'll cause more damage pushing it when it is cold, or by neglecting maintenance.
You "running it hard" on the street pales in severity to the guys that track their vehicles, and still get hundreds of thousands miles of service, with proper maintenance.

I don not care for the K&N filters myself, but I agree with your statement that it will not be what does the car in.

Don't be afraid to run it hard when it is warmed up. Engines are made to use their RPM range. You'll cause more damage pushing it when it is cold, or by neglecting maintenance.
You "running it hard" on the street pales in severity to the guys that track their vehicles, and still get hundreds of thousands miles of service, with proper maintenance.

I don not care for the K&N filters myself, but I agree with your statement that it will not be what does the car in.
I absolutely agree! I run both our vehicles hard at times. Before I purchased the xb I'm pretty sure it probably didn't see redline much.

I was expecting far worse results with the k&n, lots of driving thru dust during harvest time and gravel road driving. I wonder if the k&n isnt as bad as I thought or if the fram ultra did its job that well.

Maybe it takes alot more dust than I figure to get a high silicone reading. However I see so many UOAs that have high silicon levels when running a k&n. I dont know what to think

I absolutely agree! I run both our vehicles hard at times. Before I purchased the xb I'm pretty sure it probably didn't see redline much.

I was expecting far worse results with the k&n, lots of driving thru dust during harvest time and gravel road driving. I wonder if the k&n isnt as bad as I thought or if the fram ultra did its job that well.

Maybe it takes alot more dust than I figure to get a high silicone reading. However I see so many UOAs that have high silicon levels when running a k&n. I dont know what to think
Don't overthink it. It seems like you're enjoying the induction noise as a part of your drive. That will be far more memorable than a slightly elevated silicon PPM. You're doing the right thing by keeping an eye on it.

Back