2009 Scion TC

Helping a friend of a friend with a 09 TC. I'm guessing you all know the issue. Car has quite a oil drinking problem. She is attached to this car like nobody's business and will not get rid of it.

So far, I eliminated oil leaks, changed out pcv system, tried all kind of products all to no measurable improvement. It's that bad.

By the look of the plugs as well as a borescope down the hole, I'm going to be swapping engines. I have never seen cylinder walls that look like they were mirrors. It's ridiculous.

My question. Has anyone had good luck with a low mileage used engine as far as long term??? I'm thinking the used engine will have the same issue down the road if not right away.

Has anyone had good luck with a rebuild of one of these engines???

No mention of it, but isn't it smoking bad?
After it gets a bit of temp in the engine, I'd say so. Blue smoke. It's on the third cat converter as a previous mechanic replaced the original and the replacement cat.

She wants it done right as the car I'd special to her. It's in amazing condition.

If it doesn’t have the updated rings and pistons you’re just replacing it with another bad engine.
Thank you for that info. I was not aware there was a running update of that engine.

It's was her call on this. Best I can do is a compression and leak down test when I get it.

The 2.4 is known to be an oil burner. The car care nut on YouTube recommends avoiding that engine all together. The best you can do are religious 5k oil changes.

The 2.4 is known to be an oil burner. The car care nut on YouTube recommends avoiding that engine all together. The best you can do are religious 5k oil changes.
I know they have a tendency to burn a bit, but this one is getting a bit out of hand. I will make sure that I pass that info along. This engine had a few 7500-10000 mile oil changes in it's lifetime.

Hahaha. Good old e46 fanatics. I used to be a member back in my 330 and m3 days. Looking down he plug holes and seeing the condition of the walls, I don't think that would help. But thanks fir the link, I'll keep it in mind for the next time.

Does that site still have a love affair with GummiPfledge(hope I spelled it correctly)?

2005 tC here. The 05 engines barely burn anything, maybe, .5 qt over 5k. but this was before there unfortunate design change in the oil galleys and jets (IIRC) in 06 that caused the oiling issues that destroyed so many of the 2.4's. I've pushed this engine to an 8K oil change and maybe more a few times, it runs great at 180k miles. Not sure if you can put a 2005 in and 09 but that might help instead of rebuilding another block.

2005 tC here. The 05 engines barely burn anything, maybe, .5 qt over 5k. but this was before there unfortunate design change in the oil galleys and jets (IIRC) in 06 that caused the oiling issues that destroyed so many of the 2.4's. I've pushed this engine to an 8K oil change and maybe more a few times, it runs great at 180k miles. Not sure if you can put a 2005 in and 09 but that might help instead of rebuilding another block.
She made the decision and pulled the trigger on a JDM engine from an importer with 40k on it. Most people say they had great luck with those. They say there's minute differences between the two specs such as higher compression and better rings. Nothing concrete, but it's what they say.

Funny thing is my wife had the same model and same year car. We purchased it at 70k miles and took it to 350k miles until we gave it to a friend's daughter. Car never burned oil during 5k changes.

It seems like these issues are all over the place.

I'm really curious how this JDM engine will work out.

She made the decision and pulled the trigger on a JDM engine from an importer with 40k on it. Most people say they had great luck with those. They say there's minute differences between the two specs such as higher compression and better rings. Nothing concrete, but it's what they say.

Funny thing is my wife had the same model and same year car. We purchased it at 70k miles and took it to 350k miles until we gave it to a friend's daughter. Car never burned oil during 5k changes.

It seems like these issues are all over the place.

I'm really curious how this JDM engine will work out.
I thought all of the engine were Japanese since the tC was built in Japan, at least my 05 (built in 04) was. Maybe they started to build them in the US later.

No, all the Scions were built in Japan.

My 2009 was burning a quart every 300 miles when I bought it, but a multi-day piston soak with Berryman fuel cleaner took that up to around 1200 miles. You might want to consider letting some sort of solvent drip thru the rings before you install the new one just in case it’s already starting to gum up. Compression doesn't seem to be a reliable indicator of oil burning in these engines since part of the problem is the drain holes in the piston.

I have a thread about my similar experience with a 2009 xB, with the same 2.4 2AZ

I thought all of the engine were Japanese since the tC was built in Japan, at least my 05 (built in 04) was. Maybe they started to build them in the US later.
Yes and no. Lots of engines built for the jdm market are different. Some minute differences off the top of my head are compression, cams, fueling, turbochargers, etc.

Hahaha. Good old e46 fanatics. I used to be a member back in my 330 and m3 days. Looking down he plug holes and seeing the condition of the walls, I don't think that would help. But thanks fir the link, I'll keep it in mind for the next time.

Does that site still have a love affair with GummiPfledge(hope I spelled it correctly)?
I still use it. It great stuff, when you can find it.

Back