2009 Honda Accord VTEC V6 Oil & Filter Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: lancerplayer

It's the 4 door sedan Accord. I know the spark plugs were recently replaced within the last 3 months.

65k on the car...why might the spark plugs need to be replaced? they are $15 a piece plugs should be good for 100k

really, don't buy it.

how much are they asking? doesn't really matter how much it is, research the VCM problems and your mind will/should be changed

The VCM engine causes the spark plugs to be fouled with oil during cylinder deactivation. its a common problem. On a side note, i just replaced my OEM NGK Laser Iridium plugs with 104k miles on them. Still looked good!

A new Accord may actually be cheaper than a used one when you consider fuel costs. According to EPA, a new 4cyl CVT model will use $6500 less in fuel over 10 years. Add maintenance costs - like 2x timing belts with the '09 Accord ($900 ea w labor) , plus new plugs every 65K miles, plus extra maintenance items with a 5 yr older car and you will have likely paid for the difference for a new 4cyl EX-L. The new regular hybrid model will use $13000 less fuel over 10 years! A new EX-L 4cyl CVT is $9000 more than a used '09 EX-L v6 at bluebook.

After 10 years the newer model will have a higher resale value too - $4000 more.

The newer models also have more safety features, are quieter, are more comfortable, just as roomy plus work with your smartphone.

You'd have to get a screaming good deal on the '09 to make it worthwhile - $5000+ below bluebook if you don't count the cost of money on the delta. You'd have to check if insurance is much different between the models.

I have an '07 V6 EX-L and it's a pretty compelling reason to replace it with the very high used car prices these days.

Last edited:
I have a 100K mile non-VCM J35 I wouldn't hesitate buying a VCM engine but I would definitely shorten the interval on spark plug replacement (already taken care of on your candidate) and ignore MM and change it more often. Also check/replace the PCV valve. If it is gunked up the engine is a candidate for an intake cleaning which is not a big deal, details are on piloteers.org.

For my ride I use Purolator PureOne filters and a 5K OCI. I am running M1 0w-20 for the Winter and will run either M1 or PU 5w-20 for the rest of the year. I understand Honda has approved 0w-20 for warranty purposes, if that is a consideration.

Originally Posted By: NO2
A new Accord may actually be cheaper than a used one when you consider fuel costs.

You have to drive a J35 Accord and see why it's hard to go back to the 4 Cyl, also he said he's getting it for less than book.

Do what you want, but I agree with brybo 86. We traded a 2009 EX-L V-6 for a 2011 4.6 Genesis just because of all the problems with some of the V-6's. Oil consumption, rear discs at 10K, plugs burning up and later cat problems for those who brought there oil burners in every 1k miles for the dealers to check the oil levels and add make up oil--customers expense, of course. Those out of warranty with a fouled cat and a $1200 replacement. Many forums list the headaches w/ 2008-2010 V-6. The ck would have been a 130 mile round trip in my case. Our Accord was perfect at that time and was traded with--yes-3900 miles on the clock. Many complaints on that engine on Odessey (sp?) forms, also. We traded the 2003 in with 40K miles because of the 5 speed transmission problems of that year. No more Honda's for me.
The Genesis and Town Car have been reliable. I would have worried for a long time considering the Accord had less than 4000 miles on it, that mine would have been one of those. I did call Honda just before I traded it in June 2011, and they stated that they only knew of the rear brake problems--no oil burning issues, and they have been posted on the forums since 2008. I just don't know what percentage of the engines will be affected that have VCM.

Get the V6. I have a 2012 EXL-V6. awesome car. When I'm on a 2 lane road and need to pass, it's a non issue, the thing hauls [censored] !! 271 HP in a light car = Hauling [censored]

Last November I purchased a used 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring (79K) which also has a J series VTEC V6 engine. This summer I ran Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 as I had a 5 quart jug left over from my previous car. This fall I will change over to either PP 5W-20 or possibly 0W-20 along with a Honda A1 filter from my stash. I don't follow the Maintenance Minder/Oil Life Monitor per se, although I do check it occasionally. As I am putting on less than 12K a year I plan on doing a 6 month OCI (Spring/Fall) running either a 5W-20 or 0W-20 quality synthetic(PP, Mobil1, Castrol Titanium) Did not have the full service history of the car so as a precaution/point of reference I replaced all the fluids (oil, power steering, coolant, brake, and ESPECIALLY transmission (Use ONLY Honda ATF DW-1)) as well as spark plugs (NGKs only). After almost a year now I can report no problems with my Honda or the VTEC engine. The old/original spark plugs that I replaced showed normal wear, no signs of fouling/ abnormal wear/discoloration. With proper maintenance most Hondas will giver years dependable driving.
grin2.gif

I managed to take a few pictures of the engine through the oil cap area. They aren't the greatest, but I'm hoping it shows you all enough so that you can make some recommendations on which oil to use and OCI to follow.

What ever synthetic happens to be on sale,in 5w20 or 0w20.

For the oil filter, I like the Purolator PureOne. Besides being a good filter, the textured grip is awesome.

AAP has QSUD and a P1 filter for $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back