2009 Duramax OLM to 10,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Father drives a 09 Duramax and puts a lot of miles on for work. Oil was last changed on 11/2/13 and look in there tonight and he has already put 1200 Miles on. OLM says 90% remaining. A 10,000 Mi OCI seems like a lot to me. What do some of you duramax people think.
*Just to throw it in there, truck pulls a loaded 20ft trailer 99% of the time

I dont put much faith in the GM OLM, if it kept on track it would have 13K mile OCI on our Uplander, all of those were extremely short trips, as in less than 1 mile.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I dont put much faith in the GM OLM, if it kept on track it would have 13K mile OCI on our Uplander, all of those were extremely short trips, as in less than 1 mile.

Thats how im starting to feel about it

Cousin works as engineer for nexteer, former delphi. One of the purks of the job are to test vehicle. company car is first come first serve. test pool. These guys really test those cars, if you know what i mean.
my cousin says they run them til thr olm is pegged and and ussually past .
the caddy he wrecked had 120k or better on it. ran like a new one.

ken

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
With that driving I would not worry one bit, and you could probably push it much farther.

Likely true.

It is a proven fact that if it has a V8 (diesel or gas) the GM OLM delivers virtually unlimited engine life and is one of the most accurate OLM's on the market in any vehicle.

In our fleet it even accounts for STATIONARY operation! An amazing device that let us recently sell an 04 3500 Savana with over 500k miles on it to a nice fellow in Michigan. No smoke, no drips, no consumption ever, and one of the quietest motors we had.

The OLM is actually reasonably accurate technology and the Dmax in particular seems well served by them. It runs on an algorythm of parameters such as loading, throttle postion tracking, ambient and coolant temps, fuel consumption, idle time, etc. It's active management; it's a "smart" system. Also, you may find that the degradation of the OLM lifecycle is not linear; that is completely normal and only serves to reflect the changes in useage and conditions.

I have over 600 UOAs for Dmax engines, and have lots of info regarding the OLM in relation to many of those UOAs.

The OLM is predicated on the use of conventional oil, and yet is still very accurate when the true nature of the lube is examined. Following the Dmax OLM is quite safe given it's conservative nature. 10K mile OCIs are not unheard of, and actually quite common in a Dmax. Some OLMs have even indicated longer!

Further, don't freak out and get itchy wrenches if you get down to 20% of the OLM. There is quite a real, tangible reserve in most conventional lubes and filters. Run the OLM down to 3% or less, and only then OCI when it's a matter of convenience. Do not for one second believe that hitting 0% will result in engine harm; that's not at all true. There is quite a good reserve capacity in today's products if you are using spec'd fluid and filters, and there is plenty of data to prove it. You can start by reading my "normalcy" article, where one of the engines studied was the Dmax.

Last edited:
Hi,
Realtech214 - You are well advised to use the OLM as GM intended

Most lubricants in most vehicles are seriously under used when drained out. This even applies to Commercial use in a wide range of Heavy Vehicles

I just bought a 2013 Duramax in March…changed the oil/filter at 2000 miles…OLM says 40% left at 8000 total miles, 6000 on this current fill. Truck is usually towing or doing highway miles. I plan to follow the OLM, we'll see how it looks in 10-12 years!

its an 09, so it has the LMM code engine. Does he have the DPF/EGR deleted? If so, i dont see why 10k ocis would be a problem. If its stock, id keep the ocis to 5k.

Even stock with emmisions, the OLM is reasonably accurate. 5k mile OCIs are a total waste in a Dmax. You don't need to delete and block to get good UOAs.

The DPF has zip to do with UOAs. The regen function in a LMM is downstream via a 9th injector, so fuel is not an issue either. Do you know of any UOAs that show soot to be an issue at 5k miles in a Dmax? I'd like to see them if so, please.

Last edited:
The '11+ LMLS have a 9th injector downstream, LMMs still use one of the main injectors to inject fuel on the exhaust stroke during regen. I was being on the conservative side, 5k may be too short, my buddy with an LMM i usually change his oil around 7k. you are right you dont need to be blocked and deleted for good UOAs but id rather not have unnecessary [censored] going into my oil. Being a diesel performance gearhead, i favor DPF deletes 100%.

You are right; I had it backwards. The LMM was before the LML.

Still, UOAs tell you the actual condition of the lube. If you don't have excess fuel and low insols, then there is no reason to change oil every 5k miles. It's not like wear is going to be an issue in a healthy Dmax.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
its an 09, so it has the LMM code engine. Does he have the DPF/EGR deleted? If so, i dont see why 10k ocis would be a problem. If its stock, id keep the ocis to 5k.

I would agree with this, but remember he states he pulls 99% of the time. The fuel in oil problem is those who don't pull often and make short trips.

Last edited:
I have run mine out 10,000 miles and done an UOA - no problemos. I always follow the OLM or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Only problems I had seen was from oil dilution when adding 5% Bio. I no longer add Bio, you get it often enough at the pumps often without knowing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back