2009 Cadillac DTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom line question. Does anyone here own this car (or similar one) or does this car have any known reliability or maintenance issues? I am just at the first stages of my research.

A little background:

Within the next few months, I will have the opportunity to purchase my grandfather's Cadillac at a substantial discount to real market value. If I do this, it will be used as a little driven 3rd car for a year or so, and then would be the primary car (local driving only) for a new 16 year old driver (my son).

It currently has 44K miles. Most of those miles were racked up as a 70/30 combination of highway / local miles early in its life, and it has been driven very infrequently for short trips only the last 2 years or so.

I have driven the car previously, and it drives nicely, has been well maintained at the dealership, and has a fair amount of minor cosmetic blemishes on the exterior. I'm not sure what kind of maintenance it would require next, but could figure it out once I review the current records.

While it's not normally the type of car I would buy for a new driver to use, it would cost about the same (approximately $8-10K) to slightly more than a random used car I would buy for that specific use, and the idea of owning my grandfather's car is appealing to me and my son.

Thank you for your input / opinion / response.

not a good first car for a teen.

get them something with a tiny 4-cyl engine :p
and better visibility.

Is that the one with the timing chain stretch issues?

Originally Posted By: Ddub
and the idea of owning my grandfather's car is appealing to me and my son.

Seriously, the idea of driving a DTS is appealing to a 16-year-old?

What does that thing get, like 15 mpg?
smile.gif
Who's going to pay for gas?

I guess if someone gave it to me at 16, I'd drive it, but it wouldn't have been my first choice.

Originally Posted By: Rand
not a good first car for a teen.

get them something with a tiny 4-cyl engine :p
and better visibility.

Is that the one with the timing chain stretch issues?

No. Plus it is not fast, most 4cyls he is going to look at will run right with it. Biggest issue I see is it only gets 15 city and 23 highway.

You know this car and it's history and that is nice when buying used. When 16 a car is a car. They ride nice and have the updated Northstar without the head gasket issues. Maintenance on this car should be standard GM fair. Really easy.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Ddub said:
and the idea of owning my grandfather's car is appealing to me and my son.

[/quote

My dad bought my sister a 1 year old Cadillac Eldorado when she turned 16. The car was pulled out of the neighbor's garage as an elaborate surprise, and she wailed and cryed... "It's a gangster's car" she said. She wanted a Euro tuner, not knowing who made one, or anything about them (Fast and Furious Movie came out about this time) and she ended telling my dad to get rid of this extremely expensive Caddie (he lost $5000) with it, and she ended up with a 96 Chevy Blazer...
lol.gif
whistle.gif

But to answer your question, these cars are quick, and in my opinion interesting to drive. Sadly they are ugly, and too expensive to repair for the total package you get.

Yes, I am conflicted here, so thanks for the yin-yang arguments.

To clarify, I am not attempting to give my son a present, so I am truly not concerned what he thinks about it so long as it is safe, mostly reliable, and not super expensive to operate (mpg notwithstanding). One part of me would love to find a dependable beater (oxymoron, I know) like an older model Volvo or Benz diesel.

If the Caddy was not in the picture, I would most likely be (and still might be) in the market for a 3-6ish year old Japanese car (or maybe a 4cyl Ford Fusion) with a budget of $6,000-$12,000. Part of the attraction of the DTS is that it is a known factor and that I would purchase it at a considerable discount to fair market value.

Last edited:
If the deal with the Cadillac falls through, I'd go with a Volvo. They seem to have legendary reliability, and decent to maintain.

Too bad Technologees wasn't here to give his Volvo advice, but seriously I like the Volvo idea.

Maybe a v6 mustang within budget would be good to, they have plenty of quality aftermarket parts to buy from instead of the expensive OEM dealer parts

Cheap to buy, expensive to own and drive. If you both really like it i would say go for it. But be ready for luxury car repairs, premium gas, higher insurance, even tires probably cost a lot more per mile than a compact. 275hp and 4000 lbs or 14.5 lb per horsepower, is fast. In my youth i had a infiniti Q45 of similar power and weight and i once got it up to 150 mph just to see if it could do it. You just don't know what is a good idea at the time to young drivers.

If the sentimental value isn't too great, you mentioned a good amount of cosmetic issues, you could probably flip it into something that fits the needs of your son better.

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
I'd go with a Volvo. They seem to have legendary reliability, and decent to maintain.

I sold my good running 18 year old Volvo 740 Turbo to a friend (yes to a friend!) with teenagers who were about to start driving. Price was $1500 - which was less than market. A little stodgy but with a somewhat cool aspect, and likely to keep them safe in a crash.

They drove it for 5 years with (apparently) little trouble and no crashes. The kids were pretty unhappy that the car was sold at that point to make some room on the driveway. And it was promptly written off by the new owner!

Ecotourist

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

My younger brother tried to take my parents Caddy every chance he got. It is not my taste but there is something about a good cruise to be found in those cars.

Gas is a concern. I don't know how the '09 are, but the older DeVilles could squeeze 30+mpg highway if driven carefully and averaged about 24-25 overall (if really careful and if it does not sit in traffic. Actually having a gas-guzzler and having to pay for the fuel is a good way to learn to hyermile.

Looks like the last DTS C&D tested was a 2006. It did 0-60 in 7 secs, and 1/4 mi in 15.4. That's quicker than most all n/a 4-banger econocars by quite a bit. If you can get it for $10K or less, that seems like a steal. Maybe give him your Mazda, and you drive it? Or, trade it for something more youthful?

Thanks everyone for the input. The timing of this may not be right, and I don't want to jam a square peg in a round whole just because I can. If I were presented with this same opportunity a year from now (when my son was very close to driving age), it would be hard to pass up. A quick look at Ebay Motors reveals this car is currently worth $15K+ conservatively, so the ability to purchase at 9 grand or so is a killer deal. I would feel bad buying it to flip it, so that is not an option.

I still might end up pulling the trigger on this, but a more likely scenario is for me to take physical possession of the car and drive it for a few weeks with no commitment. If I decide to buy it, the deal is still on the table. If not, I will sell it on his behalf and give him all proceeds.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
I'd go with a Volvo. They seem to have legendary reliability, and decent to maintain.

I sold my good running 18 year old Volvo 740 Turbo to a friend (yes to a friend!) with teenagers who were about to start driving. Price was $1500 - which was less than market. A little stodgy but with a somewhat cool aspect, and likely to keep them safe in a crash.

They drove it for 5 years with (apparently) little trouble and no crashes. The kids were pretty unhappy that the car was sold at that point to make some room on the driveway. And it was promptly written off by the new owner!

Ecotourist

As a teenager, the first car I was allowed to borrow from my mom was a 1986 Volvo 740. It was really kind of fun to drive and had a unique personality. Totally bullet proof. That car was sold when it was 5 or so years old and replaced with an Audi 5000, which was a pretty neat car in its own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back