2008 toyota,1st oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, trying to decide, since my 2008 Rav4 says it uses 0W20 or 5W20 oil, should i wait the 5,000 miles before 1st change? Now coming up on 2,000 and 3 months. Too soon? Since the oil in it now is probably a semi-synthetic, was going to use pennsoil 5W20 till 5,000 and then use PP every 5 after that. Suggestions, thanks Tim

Oil looks like new, and have not used any yet. Did a fairly good breakin with downshifting for back pressure and redlines. But I am from the old school of dumping the factory fill by 500 miles. Was not sure, since toyota changed to the 0W20 spec, if it was "ok" to leave in for the full 5,000 miles. It is the 4 cyl. Thanks for advice, Tim

I changed out my FF on my corolla at 300 miles, changed again at 525, then again at 1600 miles. Now on my 5K intervals.

The debate will rage on about leaving it in or draining it out early. All comes down to what you want to do. Assuming the car makers know what they are talking about so now a days it prolly is safe to leave in but like you said, I am from the old school.

Originally Posted By: wingdr
Oil looks like new, and have not used any yet. Did a fairly good breakin with downshifting for back pressure and redlines. But I am from the old school of dumping the factory fill by 500 miles. Was not sure, since toyota changed to the 0W20 spec, if it was "ok" to leave in for the full 5,000 miles. It is the 4 cyl. Thanks for advice, Tim

I would compromise and change it between 2-3k :)

I changed our 4cyl. camry at 2500 miles with mobil 5000 clean 5w20. I changed again at 5000 miles with castrol gtx 5w20. She will get changed every 5000 miles with conventional until out of warranty. At that time I will probably start using pennzoil platinum every 7500 miles.

I changed out the FF on my 06 Ford Fusion under 1000...48K later no issues when I traded it in, and sadly it had amsoil 0W20 in it with just over 4000 on it, bummer

Last edited:
Changed out the factory fill in my 2007 Tundra at 2,614 miles. Why I remember the exact mileage even though that was 8,000 miles ago is a mystery to me.
wink.gif

I would have liked to have changed it earlier, but didn't have a chance. I usually dump the factory fill for synthetic before 1,000 miles. On my '94 Probe that sat on the lot for a year before I bought it, I changed it out as soon as I got it home!

UOA on the factory fill from the Tundra can be found in the UOA section. Showed high silicon, copper, and I think iron as well. Nothing at alarming levels. Probably could have left it in for the full 5k interval.

I'd do what makes you feel the best. Probably little benefit to changing it early, but it sure won't hurt and if you're like me, it helps you to sleep better at night.

later,
b

I changed my factory fill before I left the dealer (in the middle of the showroom floor). The dealer still does not allow me back on their property.

I changed the factory fill of my Toyota at 1000 KM. The Toyota 10W-30 mineral oil is so cheap it hardly cost anything. I changed it again at approx 5000 KM then switched to Mobil 1 10W-30 at first scheduled service.

If I can make it, i will change about 2,500 with dino and then at 5,000 I will go with PP 5W20. It's tough being from the "old school" and changing habits. You youngsters don't understand, when I started wrenching we would change oil every 1,000 miles!! Thanks for the responses, Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back