2008 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fordboy

what couldn't go wrong with a good ford?
grin2.gif

Fixed.
banana2.gif

Last edited:

tire wear, awful on moms car, every 30k or less

I'm not sure of the details or what models this applied to but I thought I remembered hearing about a problem with the rear control arms on some Civics that caused uneven rear tire wear. I don't know which axle you're talking about (or maybe both) or what brand of tires are on that car, but if it's the rears, and uneven wear, that could be a problem. I think I heard the fix was to replace the control arms.

Sorry I don't remember more details. I read it one some forum a while back but I can't remember which one.

Originally Posted By: rationull

tire wear, awful on moms car, every 30k or less

I'm not sure of the details or what models this applied to but I thought I remembered hearing about a problem with the rear control arms on some Civics that caused uneven rear tire wear. I don't know which axle you're talking about (or maybe both) or what brand of tires are on that car, but if it's the rears, and uneven wear, that could be a problem. I think I heard the fix was to replace the control arms.

Sorry I don't remember more details. I read it one some forum a while back but I can't remember which one.

On her 1996 honda accord, we have has goodyear viva's in it. Really, one is worn in the front and one in the back.

On her 1996 honda accord, we have has goodyear viva's in it. Really, one is worn in the front and one in the back.

A 1996 Honda Accord has nothing in common with a 2008 Honda Civic.

While I don't own a 08 Civic myself, I have a plethora of friends and co-workers that own the same body style... no issues with anything you mentioned.

Time to check in on this thread once again. The Civic now has 25k miles on it, and still hasn't had any warranty repairs other than the trim piece that came loose a few months after it was purchased. This car seems to be hitting a sweet spot, the few rattles here and there that would pop up on occasion seem to have disappeared. The engine is fully broken in and humming like a sewing machine.

I've been changing the oil with M1 5W-20 every 5-6k miles. Tires rotated as needed, they still have about 5-6/32nds remaining on the tread life. I've resorted to changing the tranny fluid during every oil change, since I dumped it at 15k and it was already dark colored. Changing the tranny fluid on these cars is beyond easy, the fill hole is front and center, so I figure why not?

The only thing I wonder about is a slight popping noise from the rear suspension when coming up a slight incline (like a driveway) at an angle. Will inspect it the next time I change the oil. Only happens rarely, may be normal. Otherwise this has been a great car so far.

Not to much of a fan, the ride in the newer civic's felt far worse than my 08 tC. My tC with 4 people in the car would rarely, if ever feel like it would bottom out the suspension, whereas my cousin's Civic with 4 people would routinely clunk/bottom out on hard bumps, especially in the city.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
This car seems to be hitting a sweet spot, the few rattles here and there that would pop up on occasion seem to have disappeared.

Count yourself lucky. My 07 is a rattle trap at 45k miles and has been since basically new. In fact, I've noticed a new rattle just in the last month.

I miss my 1985 Honda Civic "s". I love small cars. I tried to kill that car on several occasions. It always came through. Small, reliable, easy to own cars are my way to go. Can't wait for the new Mazda 2, Fiesta, and VW Polo to come over.

I liked the previous Gen Civics enough to go and look when the new ones came out (06?). I did not like the hand brake location, and it was too small in general.

I got an Acura RSX Base 5m instead. It was roomier, drove great. Maybe more power in base form. MPG topped at 27-29, not too great. I thought the simplicity of the older design would lead to reliable owner experience, but build from Japan was poor. A lot of probs with the windshield. The car was delivered with it loose, dealer failed to fix it and scraped my a-pillar in the process on a week-old car. Seat bottom crushed, trim fell off that I had to fix properly. 45k miles and I was never happy with that car, not for a day.

Anyway, I should have got the Accord Coupe instead of the RSX in 06 but got an 07 Accord later, with a decent discount for it being the outgoing model.

The Accord 2.4 automatic gets the same mpg as the RSX 2.0 5-speed, but much roomier and more power. It has the cool styling of the Civic Coupe, but much less of what I feel are shortcomings of the Civic (for me) like the ebrake and driver comfort. I know the mpg of the Civic is good though. Maybe better real-world mpg than all non-hybrids.

UPDATE! (OP delivers!)

So at this point the car now has 75k. Synthetic oil changes with M1 5W-20 to start, more recently "Acura" brand 5W-20 syn. Honda oil filters. Trans fluid has been changed probably 5-6 times, all with Honda Z1 and more recently DW1. Just installed the second new set of brake pads on the front a few months ago. Rear drums are still holding up with the OEM shoes. Battery is still original. Air and cabin filters have been replaced a few times.

So basically what it boils down to is that this car has been serviced with nothing but OEM parts, as needed. I would classify driving conditions as somewhat hard. Cold winters, hot summers, and plenty of stop and go. Also quite a bit of highway mixed in though. Other than maintenance, this car hasn't had any needed repairs since an oil leak developed around 30k. (Covered under factory warranty) There was a service bulletin about the oil leak, so I assume it was somewhat common.

Good little car. Has held up nicely. Would recommend one for anybody considering purchasing a Civic. That being said....maybe I'll check in again in another 3 years. Lol.

Thanks for the update! Honda sure makes great engines. I have 105000 on my Accord and it continurles to purr along like new.

What do you drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back