2007 Honda Pilot w/ VCM Oil Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have a family member who has a 2007 Honda Pilot w/ the VCM who asked me to change the oil. The car has about 120K and is driven mostly on the highway at 50mph+. She commutes about 50 miles a day. I would say that most of the time, she uses cruise control which is good but I heard negative things about the VCM, particularly when cruising on the highway. The car is here in Arizona, just outside of Phoenix so it still as hot during the day (max 120F) but a lot cooler at night, especially during the winter (lows of 30F, mostly 40F). As usual for Honda, it has piston slap. I don't think there is any oil that can quiet it, but if there is, which one?

Anyways, the owners manual recommends 5w20 with the starburst label. She follows the maintenance minder and previously ran what ever the shop down the street had on sale till the maintenance minder (probably 5w30). I would like to stick to the MM as it's easier for her to remember. Usually it triggers around 8K, maybe less. She plans to keep the car for a long time, hopefully till 250k.

I was thinking of using a 0w20 synthetic from Walmart and I picked up a genuine Honda oil filter; surprisingly they gave me an A01 for $6. Here are the oils available from Walmart in no particular order:
-M1 EP
-M1 AFE
-PP
-QSUD
-Castrol

What do you guys recommend? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BryanTDI12
Hi guys,

I have a family member who has a 2007 Honda Pilot w/ the VCM who asked me to change the oil. The car has about 120K and is driven mostly on the highway at 50mph+. She commutes about 50 miles a day. I would say that most of the time, she uses cruise control which is good but I heard negative things about the VCM, particularly when cruising on the highway. The car is here in Arizona, just outside of Phoenix so it still as hot during the day (max 120F) but a lot cooler at night, especially during the winter (lows of 30F, mostly 40F). As usual for Honda, it has piston slap. I don't think there is any oil that can quiet it, but if there is, which one?

Anyways, the owners manual recommends 5w20 with the starburst label. She follows the maintenance minder and previously ran what ever the shop down the street had on sale till the maintenance minder (probably 5w30). I would like to stick to the MM as it's easier for her to remember. Usually it triggers around 8K, maybe less. She plans to keep the car for a long time, hopefully till 250k.

I was thinking of using a 0w20 synthetic from Walmart and I picked up a genuine Honda oil filter; surprisingly they gave me an A01 for $6. Here are the oils available from Walmart in no particular order:
-M1 EP
-M1 AFE
-PP
-QSUD
-Castrol

What do you guys recommend? Thanks for the help.

Forum member Trav has lots of experience with that engine, and IIRC he posted pictures of problems associated with them that he's fixed. If you can't find the threads shoot him a PM he can probably link you to it. Lots of good info and recommendations there.

I use EP and PP. EP should quiet it down a bit. I change every 5k regardless of the MM. Problems with VCM is that it only shuts off the same 3 cylinders and over-works the oil. I do a new synthetic filter every time also even though I may be wasting $$ I don't care.

I am pretty sure that the VCM didn't come onto the Pilot until the 2009 year. I have a 2008 EX-L and it doesn't have it.
I use M1 0w20, no issues.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I am pretty sure that the VCM didn't come onto the Pilot until the 2009 year. I have a 2008 EX-L and it doesn't have it.

It's a front wheel drive model. Only the 2006-2008 fwd has vcm. I'm not sure though if there is any gains in fuel economy, especially with the AC running

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Forum member Trav has lots of experience with that engine, and IIRC he posted pictures of problems associated with them that he's fixed. If you can't find the threads shoot him a PM he can probably link you to it. Lots of good info and recommendations there.

Thanks for the direction. I'll definitely search for his post about the issue.

Consider using a good synthetic oil if you intend to follow the MM. I would just stick with the recommended weight. I use TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) 0W20 in my 2014 Odyssey with VCM and Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 for my daughter's 2014 Accord (4 cylinder).

I agree! Our friends have a 2007 Pilot EX AWD w/o VCM!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I agree! Our friends have a 2007 Pilot EX AWD w/o VCM!

The 2007 2-wheel drive Pilots have VCM.

Last edited:
We have the VCM engine in our Odyssey. Right now I am running VSP, which is not proving very impressive. It is noisy and it looks SUPER dark w/4k on it. I'm going to change it out soon.

Previously I was running (and will continue to run) TGMO. It is fabulous oil. Runs quiet and clean with a very high VI. While with the VSP I will do no more than a 5k interval, I have no qualms about using the TGMO for the MM (usually around 6.5k).

As someone stated, the large amount of highway time is harder on VCM engines than city driving since the cylinders remain deactivated for longer periods. Stick with 5k intervals on something top quality (my choice would be either TGMO or MGMO... TGMO is a killer deal though). Your engine has been been back-spec'd for 0w-20. Run with confidence.

Thanks for all the suggestions; this community is awesome in providing help.

I ended up getting M1 EP in 5w20 at Walmart. They were out of 0w20, but I'm sure this car will never see below freezing temps so it should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back