2007 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebc

Greetings,
The new Camry V6 looks strong on paper. Any thoughts, rumors, or opinins? That 6 speed tranny sounds like a complicated piece of work.
Regards,
EBC

The new Camry looks like a 2005-2006 Avalon, which are very nice cars. My father drives a 2005 Avalon which he loves. I don't know what kind of tranny it has in it, other than the fact its an automatic with the optional "sport" shift mode. I dont think he's ever used that though, afterall he's 73
wink.gif

6 speed autos are just starting to come into their own, but that's definitely the direction the auto industry is headed. I've driven several vehicles with 5 and 6 speed autos ('07 Escalade, '06 STS, '05 XLR, '06 IS250, '06 530ix and '06 ML500). It makes a big difference in acceleration and enables the engine to stay in a much tighter RPM band right around the peak of the power curve. Driven normally, the new trannys will help MPG. Driven in a spirited way, acceleration is much better. My understanding is that they're much more efficient at delivering power, too, reducing parasitic losses typically associated with autos to manual-like levels. I think most of this is accomplished with a torque converter lockup in every gear.

Having said all this, I can't speak for the Camry specifically other than to say I don't like the styling, although cars will often grow on me after a while.

With all the advantages that come with extra gears, is this also adding considerable weight to an auto tranny?

As far as styling...the 'snout' on the Camry will definitely be a matter of taste. I rented an 06 with only 1200 miles on it last Christmas....very nice, quiet road car.

Wouldnt buy it... why? not because its a toyota product... but because its a v6 in what is a relatively small engine bay. sooner or later you hit 120k+ and something needs to get done.

6sp autos (and higher numbers of gears) are neat, but Id prefer manual trans to be offered in more vehicles (with more engine options soupled to them).

JMH

I think the front end looks terrible. A "snout" as mentioned above. Like the Accords better. The Camry just looks so stocky.

2007 Toyota Camry V6 Transmission Gear Snap Ring Issue
The condensed version is that initial production of this transmission resulted in a retaining snap ring being incorrectly seated. (Some units that exhibited a loss of 2nd and 6th gear ranges self-corrected the incorrect snap ring seating problem themselves with further use.) In most cases the problem became apparent during the first 500 miles, though some made it out to ~2,000 miles. The fix that Toyota has undertaken on vehicles in service is to replace the entire automatic transmission with units shipped over from Japan. The malfunction was caught and corrected before this same transmission was to be installed in the new 2007 Lexus ES350 models.

[ May 09, 2006, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

The one aspect of my Dads Avalon i dont like is the interior has a lot of what i would call "GM Plastic" in it. The materials in my 2001 mazda 626 look higher quality. On the road though the Avalon is am amazing car and the front AND back seats are incredibly comfortable. The back seats even recline! The engine is stealth quiet and has an incredible amount of power.

If the 2007 Camry is anything like the Avalon, i'm sure it'll be a decent car that sells well. I'd rather have a new Scion TC though
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Wouldnt buy it... why? ... because its a v6 in what is a relatively small engine bay.

Very astute observation. So, just how is this different from Accord, Acura TL, Altima, or Maxima V6 models in which the motor is likewise crammed into a limited space front-drive engine bay?
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
The malfunction was caught and corrected before this same transmission was to be installed in the new 2007 Lexus ES350 models.

This is the first six speed auto in a Lexus? If so, that makes them over three years behind the other premium car makers.

6-speed trannies aren't any bigger/heavier then a 4 speed unit. They are actually more compact and lighter or the same weight as a 4 or 5 speed. Do some research on the lepelletier gearset that AW/Jatco/ZF are all now using.

It looks like aisin-warner slipped up on the assembly line. Big deal. At least Toyota is replacing the affected units, and not ignoring it or creating a simple patch repair.

I think it's a step up in styling. I thought the Camry model it is replacing had become very Taurus like. In other words basic styling, not very exciting. This new model looks a lot more sporty and more appealing.

I would not buy a first year model even if it is a Toyota (which buy the way according to some reports is starting to decrease in quality as evidenced in this recall). It was actually reported that they are expanding sales and making cars so fast that quality cannot keep up with production (they lack quality control managers).

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Wouldnt buy it... why? ... because its a v6 in what is a relatively small engine bay.

Very astute observation. So, just how is this different from Accord, Acura TL, Altima, or Maxima V6 models in which the motor is likewise crammed into a limited space front-drive engine bay?
rolleyes.gif

Its not any different, and I wouldnt buy any of those either
rolleyes.gif

The accord 4 cyl is a fine car, so no need to spend the extra $$$ for a v6 accord, which is but a scaled up economy car with 6 cylinders. The Altima seems nice, but Id take a 4cyl accord over it (just personal preference); the maxima got ruined IMO in the current bodystyle... previously it was a great car, and Id likely buy one if the old style was still around, even if it has a v6 shoehorned in... and if Im going to spend so much money to buy an acura, Ill save up a few more pennies and buy muself an MB diesel instead, getting myself the car that I want, with a heck of a lot more torque, still decent acceleration, and the ability to top 40 MPG on the highway.

YMMV

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back