Aftermarket heated steering wheel cover, recommendations?

2015 Forester does not have a heated steering wheel. The new Camry has a heated steering wheel. DW liked it and wished having it on Forester. I looked, but most look flimsy with cigarette lighter connections.

Are there any really good ones either direct tapping into the fuse or cigarette lighter connection.

Thanks in advance.

Power for the heating element would have to be routed through the flat ribbon cable that sits at the top of the steering column. Plus you'll have to route power and ground cables up the steering column. Wear gloves.

Your best bet would be to swap the steering wheel with an OE Subaru wheel that has heat. If steering wheel heat was never an option on the Foresters of that vintage (doubt it was) then it's not worth going down this road. Even if it was prewired it can be a tough job and a new wheel is easily $400+.

What's DW?

Ive looked into those before. Outside of needing a steering wheel that fits with the heating elements under the leather, it’s a very very tough task if you wanted to do it the correct way by routing power through an extra wire from the wheel elements to the clock spring, down the column and to an add a circuit. Plus you’d have to figure out a circuit to ensure it shuts off on a timer and if there’s a thermal overheat.

Does DW’s Forester have the premium package/heated seats? If not, that’s something you can do without too much of a hassle with fuse taps.

I think gloves or the goofy $50 cigarette lighter plug-in ones are going to be it unfortunately for DW in this case.

Thank you, folks.

Treat DW to a new car.
This plan is still 2 years out. When our son starts driving he gets this forester and DW gets a new car.

Your best bet would be to swap the steering wheel with an OE Subaru wheel that has heat. If steering wheel heat was never an option on the Foresters of that vintage (doubt it was) then it's not worth going down this road. Even if it was prewired it can be a tough job and a new wheel is easily $400+.

What's DW?
I will have to look into the steering wheel itself.
DW is Dear Wife.

Does DW’s Forester have the premium package/heated seats? If not, that’s something you can do without too much of a hassle with fuse taps.

I think gloves or the goofy $50 cigarette lighter plug-in ones are going to be it unfortunately for DW in this case.
Yes, this Forester has heated seats. Thats the reason I thought, there is a possibility that it is prewired for heated steering wheel.

The thing is, both of us have started Raynaud's like symptoms. I have had it few years already and she started in the last couple of years. She just got very expensive cashmere gloves, and they seem to be OK after warming up the car. This is the best compromise we have at this moment.

Obligatory:
gloves.jpg

Back