2005 Toyota Camry XLE tie rod end replacement

donald53

Need some help....have a 2005 Camry XLE with 4 cylinder with 137k miles. Just changed the factory outer tie rod ends with Sankei 555 made in Japan units...they have grease fittings. After the installation, I notice it makes a loud banging noise when the steering wheel is turned fully to the left or right. It did NOT do this prior to changing the tie rod ends. Last week I changed the ball joints and sway bar end links and there were not any unusual noises after replacing those parts. I used OEM Toyota for both of those items. I'm at a loss trying to figure out what the noise is. I looked at the CV joints and the boots are perfect...nothing broken or leaking there. Could be coincidence that the CV joint just went bad? There is no clicking noises coming from them when the wheel is turned fully.

Any ideas?

No Idea! I'd never know without redoing the job myself.
Can you have an assistant turn the steering all the way in both directions while you look for binding on each side?
Did you get your alignment yet?
Is is possible that you turned-in the tie rods too far when installing them?
Did you count the turns for the tie rods when removed and turn them in that same amount of turns? This is just for reference.
They may be turned -in too far???
And this may change with the alignment. IDK!

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I checked for binding making sure nothing was making contact. Can't hear the banging unless there is a load on it...tires in contact with the ground. I did count the number of turns removing both ends and turned the new ones on the same amount. I even counted the number of exposed threads on the inner tie rod shaft. Car tracks straight although the steering wheel is off center just a hair. No alignment yet...just did it yesterday.

I did notice prior to installation that when I turned the ball stud in the socket it felt a lot of resistance but it felt "notchy". Like it wouldn't turn freely in a circular motion.

[donald53]: I did notice prior to installation that when I turned the ball stud in the socket it felt a lot of resistance but it felt "notchy". Like it wouldn't turn freely in a circular motion.

You mentioned that the new tie rods have zerk/grease fittings so maybe you'd want to add some grease to the new tie rods ends. Maybe for some reason, the worker didn't do this at the factory where the parts were made. I do realize & from my understanding that Sinkei555 suspension parts to be very good compared to MOOG and others whom we used to trust. I always give a good shot of grease when equipped with zerk/grease fittings before installing. Otherwise, IDK! :unsure:

Thanks...I added additional grease.....seems to have helped immensely. Maybe I just didn't put enough in at first.
How did you add grease to a Sankei 555 part?

Never mind I re-read your post. They makes me think those are either counterfeit or old ones put back in a box, I’ve never, ever seen any greaseable joints from Sankei.

Well, you/we shouldn’t have needed to add grease because they’re supposed to be manufactured with grease but I always do anyway. Next chance you get(doing brakes, rotating tires etc.) give them another shot of grease.

Back