2005 Sienna trans issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that it's a short to ground. I had the pan off twice in the last 2 months, only right after I got it back together this last time, the CEL lit up when I started driving down my street. This was probably right around the initial 1-2 shift.

I don't believe I pinched a wire but anything is possible.

I'm mechanically inclined and do most all my automotive work, so yes....I'm up for the task.

From that The Critic told me, it's kinda easy to pinch one of the solenoid wiring harnesses in a Toyota transmission if the filter is being replaced. I've replaced the filter in my parent's Sienna and I don't think I saw any wiring dangerously close to a wire.

How's the transmission to body ground looking like - although if there was a bad ground from the tranny body, you will see other DTCs indicating short to ground.

Originally Posted By: i6pwr
Interesting that it's a short to ground. I had the pan off twice in the last 2 months, only right after I got it back together this last time, the CEL lit up when I started driving down my street. This was probably right around the initial 1-2 shift.

I don't believe I pinched a wire but anything is possible.

I'm mechanically inclined and do most all my automotive work, so yes....I'm up for the task.

Do you have a Incandescent test light & a Fused jumper wire? Buy a pack of Sewing T-pin's from staples/office depot.....A straightened paper clip will also work for back-probing.

I would start at the PCM located behind the glove box, This is so you don't do any intrusive back-probing under the hood....Though the great thing about T-pin's is you can slip them in between the wire & rubber seal on sealed connectors.

*Locate Pin/Cavity #9 on the E7 PCM connector, It will be a Gray wire.
*Key Off! Insert T-pin right next to the gray wire into Cavity #9.
*Check that you have made contact with the terminal by connecting your test light to battery positive....It should light when touching the T-pin.
*With a 5 amp fuse installed in your jumper wire hooked to battery positive IN SERIES with the test light like shown.
*Touch the T-pin with the test light.

*If there is a hard short to ground, The fuse will pop & the test light will light-up....Meaning you can't pull the circuit high with 6-9 amps of current. Fuses generally blow a little above their rated amperage.
*If the fuse popped.....Unplug the Solenoid Harness Connector from the transmission case.
*With the test light still hooked to battery positive....Probe the T-pin, If the test light will no longer light....The short to ground is inside the transmission.

Connector views & diagram.

r0ToqLI.gif

F8Da7HZ.gif

DO NOT use cheap fuses in your jumper wire, They are never NEAR the rated amperage!! I use Littelfuse or Eaton Bussmann.......

I like to use ATC style fuses for testing equipment, GM/Delphi cooling fan/blower motor connectors make a perfect fuse holder that won't spread with use like the JUNK fuse holders sold at auto part stores.

GM 12101906 is a good part number for the fuse holder, I would just go to a wreaking yard & get the fuse holder & a bunch of fuses.

eMwXTOA.jpg

WHY O WHY would any one think that putting electrical wires in oil was a good idea?

Originally Posted By: red7404
WHY O WHY would any one think that putting electrical wires in oil was a good idea?

Been working just fine for over 50 years.

Thanks clinebarger...I will try to tear into this again this weekend, will keep you posted.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back