2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with 98,000 miles. From 10,000 miles to 90,000 miles, I used Amsoil Series 2000. At 90,000 I started using the then new Amsoil Signature Series. Immediately it started using oil. I went from using a quart every 6000 miles to using a quart every 2500 miles. I'm wondering if the new stuff is so slippery it's getting past the valve stem seals? At this point, I'm ready to dump the stuff and switch to something else. All thoughts from the group are welcome. Thank you. Mark Shuell.

spankme2.gif

Not sure what got into Mr. Pig, but it does seem odd that SSO would be consumed faster than TSO. I think it may indeed be getting past the valve stem seals.

Any smoke from cold starts? Stand behind car and have a lovely assistant start the car.

Just kidding about a post that might put SSO in any sort of bad light. :) Yes, there can be many other variables here, and it's indeed probably another variable that's at play. A caravan's got to start consuming at some pt right? :)

If you're too impatient for an A-rx run (as I am), then try a 500 mile run on 12 to 16oz of Schaeffer Neutra 131 (slow purger, but not as slow as A-rx) - followed by an 20 to 30 min. Amsoil flush.

Good luck!

Also, you could do this flush and maintain your present SSO. Just get a very clean oil drain pan, store the SSO in a clean air tight container. Drop in some cheap 10w40 and an Wally ST filter and some Neutra. Replace SSO after the flush run.

Stay with it and you may see it retreat to your normal consumption level ..maybe even lower. Check the PCV system. It may not be the oil but something else. Transitional consumption is not unheard of. I've experienced it myself. You're not reporting any smoke ..so I'd say valve stem seals is not your issue.

One swallow does not the summer make - Aristotle

legitimate question. owner concerned about increased oil consumption with the switch. usually when one brand is changed especially syn. there's an increase in oil consumption over 1-2 intervals. if this is the oil you want, stick with it, consumption should decrease. patience is key here.

That seems to be a big consumption increase for an oil switch. Though the data on these things (including his) isn't exactly scientific. I mean, does he (or anyone) keep careful enough notes on their consumption to know exactly when it has increased. His consumption could've started ticking upward at 60k but perhaps too slow to detect. Unless your topping off and then chking the oil after long burn-off runs, then that also adds error.

BTW, my Sienna had valve cover leaks and now a oil pan gasket leak - all w/o putting a drop on the garage floor. If it's seaping out, apparently it can evap. off before dripping.

mshuell, you might want to feel all the way around you're valve covers and around you oil pan gasket. And also visually inspect the rest (clean the engine with degreaser and power wash first - then drive several hundred miles).

If he indeed jumped that much consumption that quick - I bet it's coming out somewhere besides the combustion chamber.

Good luck.

Greetings,

Thank you for all the suggestions so far. Last night I removed the front 3 spark plugs for inspection. (Back 3 are a pain to get to) There is absolutely no sign of oil on the plugs. They are stone cold dry/grey. Albeit a bit worn after 98,000 miles.

This morning I had my lovely bride start the van while I stood behind it. No smoke of any kind. I had assumed that since I didn't see any drips in the driveway, there are no leaks, but just in case, I'll spend some quality times under the hood and under the engine looking at everything. I'll keep the group informed on the findings.

Thank you Gary, for mentioning the PCV valve. It needs to be changed no matter what.

Best Wishes, Mark Shuell.

Quote:
does he (or anyone) keep careful enough notes on their consumption to know exactly when it has increased.

Some of us don't have any consumption over our OCI's ..even if they're 9-10k. So someone going from not having to add oil over their OCI to someone having to add oil to reach the end of their OCI surely detects the change.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Some of us don't have any consumption over our OCI's ..even if they're 9-10k. So someone going from not having to add oil over their OCI to someone having to add oil to reach the end of their OCI surely detects the change.

Kind've and uppity statement don't you think? Us on the other side of the tracks have to decide between taking the wife roses or topping off with Penz. Plat.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Kind've and uppity statement don't you think?

I dunno
54.gif
Maybe it is
21.gif
still
54.gif

I haven't really had a true "daily driver" (front line vehicle) that's consumed any oil of consequence for a very long time.

As a (very) GENERAL RULE, I've seen two types of consumption. Constant and progressive.

Constant consumption is due to baseline operational/mechanical variables. That is, what your doing and what you're doing it in. The consumption may go up or down with one or or another ..but will be at a constant rate. The members that have this status are the ones who say "..when I changed from XYZ oil to QRS oil, my consumption went from a qt/1k to a qt/2.5k.

Now the progressive consumer is one that has NO consumption until a certain mileage (or time) figure and then experiences increasing (progressive) consumption as the OCI advances. This points to an oil fatigue issue (shearing, fuel dilution, etc..etc..etc.). This too can be altered by using one oil over another ..but should follow the same contour.

My rides, at least currently, have an extremely low baseline consumption level (virtually nonexistent)..and, apparently, do not fatigue oil in their normal operational (process) variable (span of usage). The length limits that I've done on them are as far as 12.5k and as long as 13 months.

So, that means ANY consumption really sticks out.

The engineering world out there is a strange one. You have one engine that gets essentially zero consumption, and another engine is actually designed to consume a certain amount - or perhaps not actually designed to, but the consumption is understood and accepted by the engineers.

jk on the roses & Penz. Plat. comment - by God's grace I can afford both. In fact, I can afford an EaO to boot.

I too have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. I purchased it brand spanking new. I used Havoline 5W/20 (conventional). From the get go, it would use about 3/4ths of a quart of oil in 1200 miles. Dodge dealer told me that this was normal. He stated that "in fact, Dodge doesn't consider one quart in 300 miles to be excessive if it isn't fouling the plugs". According to http://www.daimlerchryslervehicleproblems.com, Dodge is just trying to cover their butts. Supposedly, DaimlerChrysler put out a memo telling dealers that one quart/1000 miles was acceptable usage. I switched to Pennzoil Platinum and usage dropped to about 1/2 qt. in 3000 miles. Apparently, your first oil was doing something good for your engine that your new oil isn't doing.

Originally Posted By: otis24
IAccording to http://www.daimlerchryslervehicleproblems.com, Dodge is just trying to cover their butts. Supposedly, DaimlerChrysler put out a memo telling dealers that one quart/1000 miles was acceptable usage.

Most automobile manufacturers have similar guidelines for oil consumption. If you look around, I'm sure you will find that many of them are 1 qt/1k miles. Not uncommon at all. If you want to slam your dealer for misleading you on the issue, be my guest; but don't get the wrong idea about Dodge on the issue.

My grandma's 2003 Town and Country van burns 1qt every 1000-1500 miles. Grandma always went to the same oil change place where they used whatever ordinary bulk oil was there. The van has about 70,000 miles now, and hasn't failed one smog test, so I guess it is normal.

That in mind, I have dealt with so many engines that don't burn oil, that 1qt in 3000 miles is unacceptable to me.

Greetings,

Here's where I am now. It was time for the 100,000 mile spark plug & wire change, so I did that over the weekend. All the plugs are light grey/dry. No sign of oil fouling on any of them. Did a good inpection of the valve cover gaskets. No leaks. Looked at the oil pan & drain plug. Dry. No leaks. Where in the world is the oil going?

Best Wishes, Mark Shuell.

Sometimes when oil is changed from one type to another the engine will develop consumption problems.This is caused,in addition to all the causes mentioned before,by deposits deposited by the first oil to be washed off by the new oil's different detergent properties.When the new oil has time to build up new deposits the consumption should stabilize or drop to previous levels.
Your oil dissapearance is probably cumulative between several different paths.Leaks,through the pcv,valve seals,and past the rings are all places sealing deposits can allow oil out of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back