2005 C55 AMG oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a really nice 2005 C55 AMG.

2 owner car with a 3" binder of every service record since new done by Mercedes.

The car is stock aside from a big brake kit and some wheels. 133k miles. 0 issues. No leaks.

5.4L M113 v8. 722.6 transmission. From what I understand this a very reliable engine and trans combo.

I have no idea what oil I should run in this vehicle or if it really matters that much.

Thanks for the help! Pics!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry no specific help other than to look at the OM find the MB Spec and go for a Pentosin or Fuchs or Similar EU product.

Maybe a look in the binder and see what they have been running if's its done its job well.

MB AMG forum must be out there.

BTW, stay away from tree trunk whilst drifting ....
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TinyVoices
I have no idea what oil I should run in this vehicle or if it really matters that much.

The owner's manual will give a Mercedes-Benz approval and yes it matters. Buy the least expensive oil you can find (probably at Walmart) that has the approval, or go here and find one:

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/beam.en.html#close

Do not use an oil that does not have the required approval, and do not use one that only recommends the oil for the application or is "suitable for". Any grade that has the actual approval will work, don't get hung up on grade as it is irrelevant in this application. There is zero need to spend extra on a European brand such as Fuchs or Pentosin as long as the oil you're buying has the required Mercedes-Benz approval.

Double check it but your approval is probably 229.5. If so then Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-40 both have that approval and are inexpensive at both Walmart and Amazon. The Mobil product also has a rebate.

Originally Posted by kschachn

What?

The owner's manual will give a Mercedes-Benz approval and yes it matters. Buy the least expensive oil you can find (probably at Walmart) that has the approval, or go here and find one:

Do not use an oil that does not have the required approval, and do not use one that only recommends the oil for the application or is "suitable for". Any grade that has the actual approval will work, don't get hung up on grade as it is irrelevant in this application.

Sorry, should have stated I know what oil weight to use, obviously. 0w40 and 5w40 are stated as approved with MB approval number 229.5.

Listed are: Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula and 0W-40 and Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40.

I wanted to know if anyone with these engines or knowledge there of knows of modern alternatives or good options.

Again, weight or grade is irrelevant in regards to a Mercedes-Benz approval, any grade that carries the required approval will work. The HTHS of the oil is specified in the approval requirements and will dictate the grade for the most part.

Modern alternative or good option? Those are not valid criteria for choosing an oil that has a required approval.

Originally Posted by kschachn

What?

Do not use an oil that does not have the required approval, and do not use one that only recommends the oil for the application or is "suitable for". Any grade that has the actual approval will work, don't get hung up on grade as it is irrelevant in this application.

Sorry, should have stated I know what oil weight to use, obviously. 0w40 and 5w40 are stated as approved with MB approval number 229.5.

Listed are: Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula and 0W-40 and Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40.

I wanted to know if anyone with these engines or knowledge there of knows of modern alternatives or good options.

Lots of people on the MB forums run 0w40 all the time. Cheapest at Walmart right now $20 for 5 quarts plus the $12 rebate. Doesn't really get cheaper, it's normally in the $25-$26 range. Limit is 4 five quart jugs. Doesn't seem to matter which one you use. Some people feel the ESP 5w40 is some magic oil as that's basically sold by the dealer at high prices. But either will make the car last just as long, just depends how much money you feel like blowing. I basically run either Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40, just depends whatever is on sale. Going to pick up some Mobil 1 0w40 now at Walmart.

Great car. Engine isnt overstressed, solid trans, cheap and readily available parts. The biggest issue is anything under hood, its pretty tight in there so labor times are always more, on top of the AMG tax. The heat generated by the engine doesnt help much. Typical w203 issues, clicking from the center vents (stepper motor) cheap plastics and over all build quality stuff, switch gear, combination switches fail, clusters pixellate. As for oil, all of the recommendations are great, the 0/40 M1 you cant really beat right now.

Last edited:
MB 229.5, MB 229.5, MB 229.5, MB 229.5, MB 229.5, MB 229.5, MB 229.5, MB 229.5, MB 229.5, MB 229.5, MB 229.5.
Any oil with that approval will do it.
Now, what are preffered oils?
Do not fall on Liqui Moly advertising or similar oils that have oversized Made in Germany letters or being pushed by some internet seller. If you want top notch product with easy access, get Mobil1 0W40 FS or option hold bit better in regard, Castrol 0W40 in Wal Mart.
Now, as someone already stated, weight is irrelevant as long as it has MB 229.5 approval. Considering MB 229.5 requires minimum HTHS of 3.5cp, that means heavy 0W30 or 5W30 oils or probably light 0W40 or 5W40 oils.
Oil that is probably held highest in regard by Euro enthusiasts is Castrol Edge 0W30. But, it is available only in AZ or AAP or online (Amazon) and it is more expensive than Mobil1 0W40 FS or Castrol Edge 0W40. It is true synthetic (PAO is 50-75%). Amazon price varies from $48 to $80 for 6qt.
Besides engine oil, make sure transmission fluid is regularly changed (not flushed!!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back