Royal Purple engine oil gives 7-8MPG improvement??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed my fuel economy drops in late summer because I hit lots more bugs on my work commute. All of the little impacts increases my coefficient of drag.

Quote:

"The 5W20 is made using Group IV and Group I base stocks."

There is that hedge wording. "Using" Not an all inclusive content remark. Using could cover the ISO-Parrafin Diluent portion of the formula for all we know.

What hedge wording? You can find multiple sources on the net where RP has said that the grp I is for the additive carrier only. That makes up a small portion.

GrpIV and GrpI... Let's see... does that mean it's Grp2.5 ???
smile.gif

STOP the thread comments on Zn/Phos. (ZDDP). Almost no one has flat-tappets in stock application. Don't get people fired up on non-issue. Take it to the thread ZDDP thread on SM oils for flat-tappet engines.

Quote:

when he switched from Mobil1 0W-40 syn to Royal Purple engine oil and gear oil, he went from 16.4MPG to 23-24MPG with a SINGLE change.

Sure. Also, adding a "Type R" sticker to your car yields 5 extra HP.

No argument about the GRP I additive carrier I don't care about that.

I care about the word "USING" Which is a synonym with Mobil 1's "Utilizing"

Now, let's compare the statements made by Mobil 1 and the statement you received from the Royal Purple representative and see if they are not saying the same thing.

Mobil 1 says this
Quote:

Is Mobil 1 a fully synthetic oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 uses high performance synthetic fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAO), along with a proprietary system of additives. In fact, each Mobil 1 viscosity grade uses a specific combination of a synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its unique requirements.

Royal Purple Say they "USE" Grp 1 and IV in the construction of the motor oil. The words Primarily, only, majority, mostly, and their synonyms are missing from the language used. Also in their own description they say they use -ISO Parrafinnic diluent.

From the MSDS for the PCMO
Base Oil (synthetic) Synthetic additives with iso-paraffinic diluents.

"With iso-paraffinic diluents."

I will accept that the Royal Purple "contains" Grp IV base oil.

I would also accept that Mobil 1 "contains" Grp IV.

But that does not make it the primary liquid by mass. It only makes it an ingredient or a "Diluent" in this case.

Once again I am certain it is a fine formulation with excellent support from the company.
I simply have a deep suspicion for the language used to describe the contents of synthetic engine oil and I see soft words that can sound like an answer but not really be the answer you're looking for.
All marketers have become very competent in this language art. They count on poor reading comprehension to infer one thing while not ever saying it.

hey bryanccfsr,

Why don't you email RP and ask them if there is any grp II or grp III in their oil? I guarantee you they will reply and answer your question. Maybe the answer will be to your satisfaction.

Quote:

hey bryanccfsr,

Why don't you email RP and ask them if there is any grp II or grp III in their oil? I guarantee you they will reply and answer your question. Maybe the answer will be to your satisfaction.

They have always been very open with me concerning the PAO in their oils when I have e-mailed them. I have not received word-play from them and David is extremely knowledgeable. They make excellent oils and I have seen numerous intervals of 18K miles with their street oils. If that can be accomplished with a majority group3 product then I would say it good oil regardless.
Most dislike of the oil seems to come from the advertising. Several of my customers have run the 5W30 12K miles with excellent results. I don't use their engine oils but do run their Syntractor 3 tractor transmission oil and it has by far exceeded all the other fluids I have tested including those that proclaim to be all PAO. I don't have a clue as to whether Synerlec makes the difference or not but the stuff has been indestructable in trannies that get the snot worked out of them in a way that no automotive application would see.
I would use their oil with confidence if I wanted to pay 6-7$ a qt. for oil.
coffee.gif

Quote:

Most dislike of the oil seems to come from the advertising.

My dislike for this oil comes from the fact that in the few intervals I ran it in my wife's Honda, it thinned out badly and showed considerably higher lead numbers (five times higher than GC)

Their race oils are great, but I am not impressed at all with their 5w30 or 10w30 street oils. I wish I could've tested out their 5w20, but when RP offered me up some free oil to test out, they gave me 5w30 instead of 5w20. When I asked them to send me another case, they sent 10w30 this time! I know I shouldn't complain about free oil, but heck, why couldn't they send the right viscosity I asked for??

Back in the early eighties, I got a 5 mpg improvement in a manual shift Subaru by changing to Amsoil transmission fluid in the winter. No difference in the summer!

We just got them to use the AC during CAFE ratings, A winter cold test?? Please....

I see that as possible at least if you did mostly short trips not allowing the oil to warm up.

I know my(In a stick) Valvoline Synthetic ATF+4 was like Cold Lucas Oil Stabilizer this winter near and below ZERO!

Gonna switch out to AMSOIL this year ans see what happens.

Quote:

Quote:

Most dislike of the oil seems to come from the advertising.

My dislike for this oil comes from the fact that in the few intervals I ran it in my wife's Honda, it thinned out badly and showed considerably higher lead numbers (five times higher than GC)

Their race oils are great, but I am not impressed at all with their 5w30 or 10w30 street oils. I wish I could've tested out their 5w20, but when RP offered me up some free oil to test out, they gave me 5w30 instead of 5w20. When I asked them to send me another case, they sent 10w30 this time! I know I shouldn't complain about free oil, but heck, why couldn't they send the right viscosity I asked for??

Patman:

Why did you run the street oil, RP admits it is inferior to the Racing/XPR oil? The XPR is some great oil. The street oil is mediocre at the very very best, and just barely at that!

Quote:

Why did you run the street oil, RP admits it is inferior to the Racing/XPR oil? The XPR is some great oil.

They didn't make the XPR when I tried Royal Purple. It was a few years ago actually (2002) right after this site got started. It came about because I was bad mouthing Royal Purple for it's lackluster UOAs, and it's tendancy to thin out badly very quickly. So one of our members here, who happened to work for Royal Purple, offered me a case of oil for free if I would test it out. He was confident that it would show good oil analysis results and that would shut me up. He was wrong, it performed pretty badly and just gave me even more reason to dislike the oil. I even gave them another chance, and after two intervals with the 5w30, I was going to run their 5w20, but they sent me a case of 10w30 instead. I put that in, and the startup noise on my wife's Honda was horrible! I dumped that oil and went with GC 0w30 and the UOAs were considerably better.

Hi,
I just got home from work and my commute is brutal!
wink.gif

Royal Purple is low on my wow list and I am losing nterest. If you like it fine, but I see no reason to be impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back