2004 Crown Vic, RLI BioSyn 5W20, 5000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
60,200 on engine. Oil in use 3 months. This included my 2000 mile round trip to Vegas and back. This is my last load of RLI. It wasnt supposed to be, but an unfortunate accident led me to have to top up with some Mobil 5000 to get a full load. Im not going to UOA it as the results would be meaningless. Im going to switch to Pennzoil Platinum after I get about 2000 miles on my current fill. Probably just going to go 3000 on the first load and skip a UOA there too.

Does any one think I could have a leaking injector? How would I test for that? I was going to pull my fuel rail a couple months ago because I suspected as much, however, its going to be a PITA for me to do that. Any ideas?

Previous UOA
Code:

Iron 25

Copper 4

Tin 0

Lead 0

Chromium 1

Nickel 0

Aluminium 2

Titanium 0

Silver 0

Calcium 1676

Magnesium 14

Zinc 778

Phosphorus 752

Barium 0

Molybdenum 5

Antimony 139

Silicon 11

Sodium 14

Boron 7

Potassium 0

Vanadium 0

Visc40C 40.7cSt

Visc100C 8.0cSt

TAN 2.0

Flash 290F

Oxidation 80

Nitration 11

KF Water 413

TBN 2.1

Fuel 1.55

Soot 0.03

Sulfate 120

Lab is Dyson.

Last edited:
With that kind of highway travel there should be no fuel. Even my grocery getters with modulars don't show fuel in a UOA.

Only 3k on PP? Why such a short OCI? It will easily do 5k+. Don't waste perfectly good oil.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
With that kind of highway travel there should be no fuel. Even my grocery getters with modulars don't show fuel in a UOA.

Well, it HAS been a bit since the highway travel.
It was 1k miles of my normal back and forth, then 2k miles to Las Vegas and back, followed by another 2k of my back and forth.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Only 3k on PP? Why such a short OCI? It will easily do 5k+. Don't waste perfectly good oil.

I dont know. After seeing how well I can kill other 'perfectly good' oils, I dont think Im going to just trust it out that far.

Did they give you a manganese number?

This is a common fuel add and can be an indicator of previous fuel dilution even if not present at time of sampling.

I'd check a few things before a leaky injector. The usual suspects would include PCV, clean air filter, good plugs/wires.

No Maganese number.

PCV is newish. I want to say maybe 10k miles old. Air filter is newer than that. I pulled the spark plugs around the time I put in the pcv and they were well within specification.

Originally Posted By: Artem

confused.gif

For a closed cup flash point method, 290 F is not bad. By FTIR method, 1.55% fuel is also not that bad. Oxidation is largely from the veggie-esters. This oil does not have much detergent in it. PP has much more so I'd go at least 5k miles on it.

The methods used like JAG mentions apparently make these numbers seem worse to some, like myself. For me, I'm used to reading black stone results which use different methods I'm not familiar with specifics to either methodology.
grin2.gif

Translation: Send another sample from this batch to B_S for $25.
whistle.gif

Kidding...or is he?
19.gif

Last edited:
I don't think you have leaky fuel injectors. This 1.55% fuel looks pretty normal/average to me, even on new cars.

I've had some improvement on some vehicles using LE L-X 2300 as a fuel additive. You could try that.

Between this UOA and the last, I see that TBN is not a strong suit of the RLI oils ...

You'd like to think that you could get a lot more mileage out of such an expensive lube, but TBN is getting down there. Not "depleted" yet, but in the low 2.x range after 4k and 5k mile UOAs?; that's not impressive in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back