2003 Saturn ION Sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm.... I was thinking there might be an Ecotech in my (or my daughter's) future. There still might... I guess I'd need to see a "camshaft cover" to know if this is going to be easy to service.

Just don't want this... ->
crushedcar.gif
rolleyes.gif

From what I see in the manual, it's on the front side of the camshaft (or valve) cover, and connected with a short hose to the intake manifold.

It looks pretty easy to access.

If the oil is dark red, it is more than likely not even oil in the crankcase, but tranny fluid.

Short trips will not turn an oil red even with a plugged PCV system.

Guys, it is Ecotec -
tongue.gif
And it is a great engine. I've had it for 43,000 miles now and I open the oil cap - everything is silver sparkly clean.

As someone suggested above - check the oil filter as it is a cartridge system. Check for sludge there.

Definitely do a UOA.

That red color around the oil filler hole doesn’t look right. I’m thinking BlazerLT might be on the right track.

Pull the cam cover and take some pictures of it for evidence. You can show that to your dealer.

With oil changes every 3K miles, there is no way things should be sludging up -- at least if a coolant leak has been ruled out.

If ATF was put in there, the engine still may be ok. It is still an oil based fluid, although at ~ 7.0 cSt it would be like running a thin 20wt.

Until we see under then valve cover we are just assuming too much.

I bet it's just fine with the "sludge" being caused by excessive short trips.

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
Until we see under then valve cover we are just assuming too much.

I bet it's just fine with the "sludge" being caused by excessive short trips.

Or tranny fluid breaking down in an environment it was not intended to be subjected to.

Could somebody've changed oil and substituted one quart of trannie fluid as a "supplement"? Midway through the OCI, the normal darkening that takes place coupled with a quart of ATF might result in the color that's causing so much discussion.

I checked the Ecotec engine on my mom's car today and there was just a slight bit of buildup on the filler cap, like what is pictured in the first post on this thread only there wasn't very much of it.

I think that is normal because the oil filler cap on this engine really doesn't get splashed with oil--there's a baffle in the way.

Sorry for the lack of recent updates, but we just got the car in today for an oil change at the dealer. I snagged a sample and sent it off to blackstone. I'll post the UOA when I get it.

quote:

Originally posted by jazisded:
Sorry for the lack of recent updates, but we just got the car in today for an oil change at the dealer. I snagged a sample and sent it off to blackstone. I'll post the UOA when I get it.

So you went back to the place that screwed it up in the first place?

What is wrong with your logic bro.......
nono.gif

If there is a problem with the car, it was serviced at the dealer and they took the oil sample. My logic was that the problem would have been in their hands the entire time and there would be less dispute over the blackstone sample if they had taken it. The esrvice manager even remarked that they use blackstone for resolving warranty issues and found them extremely competant. Perhaps my logic is faulty, but that is the way I played it. I did check the oil after the change and it is fine - nice golden brown and at the right fill level.

Yes, I will be personally doing the oil changes from now on.

I would have gottena third party to do it, you never go to a party involved in the problem to truthfully take a sample.

Basically, they can put any oil in the sample and send it off and say it is ok.

Seriously, you won't have a leg to stand on now, the party in question has the sample and everything and you have nothing.

Well, I sent the sample in and got back the results from blackstone. They didn't find anything tragic in the oil, so I guess I will pull the valve cover at some point and visually confirm.

BlazerLT: Although I didn't collect the oil myself, the dealer gave me the sample and I sent it in. The oil that was collected sure looked the same color as on the dipstick, and Blackstone even confirmed the odd color in their writeup. You are right though, I cannot be 100% sure that they didn't switch the oil on me. The only thing that bugs me is the comment Blackstone made about the oil sample being taken cold. The sample wasn't taken completely cold, as we probably drove 5 miles to the dealer for the OC. I will email them to clarify their position relative to the 5 mile drive.

FWIW, here's the UOA:

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back