2003 Nissan Pathfinder or 2006 Buick Rendezvous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I am at work and my wife is looking at two vehicles. We have a friend who works at a used auto shop who is willing to sell us these vehicles after inspection for 4,000 dollars.

I am just looking for general feedback on here before she checks them out later today. You guys have all been very knowledgable and have helped me in the past, so any info is greatly appreciated.

I'll know more later today but the Nissan has 120k on it and the Buick has 95k. Both have a V6 but I am not 100% sure yet if the Buick has the 3.5 or 3.6L. I believe both were available options.

Thanks in advance. Also looking to see which is more DIY friendly.

That era of pathfinder is known for serious structural rust problems, and it is a unit body truck, so have a long look at the problem areas before you buy that one. There were recalls for some of the rust issues I believe, maybe get the VIN and find out if it has been done.

Neither of those are desirable, that is one of the worst applications to have a 4T65e in the Buick Cuz of the extra weight. They can be made to be very reliable but if oem you could be in for some issues.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Neither of those are desirable, that is one of the worst applications to have a 4T65e in the Buick Cuz of the extra weight. They can be made to be very reliable but if oem you could be in for some issues.

Yup, 4T65E transmissions are not so good.

My mom has a 2003 Rendezvous and it has actually been a great car the past 145k miles other than the common 3.4L issues. Luckily the one you're looking at doesn't have the 3.4L.

The only issues her Rendezvous (other than engine) has had are the plastic clips that hold the power windows up broke early in life and had to be replaced. It's also gotten new control arm bushings. Other than that, flawless.

Actually hers is an AWD which is terrible on these, the differential has howled like you wouldn't believe when turning since ~75k miles.

If you get a custom 4T65e built like mine from triple edge you don't have to worry about it ever, but that's gonna cost you $3000 almost

That might be worth it in a clean car with a 3.8 but any of the 3.1/3.4 are subjected to ingesting coolant

If the Buick has the 3.8,I'd go for it. I know absolutely nothing about that era Pathfinder though.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If the Buick has the 3.8,I'd go for it. I know absolutely nothing about that era Pathfinder though.
It's too bad they never put the 3.8L in the Rendezvous

If you actually could use an SUV, then the pathfinder is quite nice, as it can tow and has low range, solid rear axle, VQ35, even a manual transmission! It would be my first choice for a real SUV in that price range, you just have to check it for rust.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I say Pathfinder.

The Rendevous is based on a minivan. It's also ugly.

+1

Look for a GMC Envoy XL to beat them both, in every way (including price and room and reliability.. every way.)

My brother managed 225k/13 years out of his 2001 Pathfinder relatively trouble free. It got rusty(embarrassing to her) and he sold to brother in law for $4000 who got body rust squared off and brakes done for $1000 and is daily driver. It now has 280k.

I believe my brother gave up on maintenance at 130k except for oil changes and as needed stuff. Well built vehicle. I think the only major thing was coils and spark plugs for him costing a bunch.

Thanks for the updates guys. Envoys look to be had around the price range we are looking for. There's also a clean looking 2002 Explorer with a 4.0L and 104k on it. Just popped up, might take a look. $3500

An Envoy will NOT beat the Pathfinder in the reliability department. Not even close. The particular Pathfinder in question has a solid engine, and Transmission.

03 Pathfinders were built in Japan. Their quality is generally better than a comparable Japanese branded product built in the US.

Last edited:
when the choice is a gm or japanese(even a nissan) always go with the japanese car. who in there right mind recommended a gmc envoy? is you crazy? gm vs japan? its no contest.

Originally Posted By: super20dan
when the choice is a gm or japanese(even a nissan) always go with the japanese car. who in there right mind recommended a gmc envoy? is you crazy? gm vs japan? its no contest.

You must have some really good crack you're smoking. Just by the sheer number of grammatical errors in that post it can be rendered irrelevant.

Ex gf of mine years ago had (I think) was a 95 Pathfinder. VG engine that was smooth as silk. She'd always want me to drive whenever we went out in it. Had a ton of super smooth power. Never had any trouble whatsoever with it.

I have a 2003 Pathfinder, if you buy one with high miles here's what to look forward to:

Throttle plate screws that fall out and destroy the engine, common problem for this year Nissan. Mine did this, I recovered a throttle plate down the intake, it's too big to get all the way to the valves. The engine ate the screws, I lucked out because it still runs ok, although I'm sure a cylinder or 2 has 'shot peened' chambers.

The death wobbles. The rear of this car will sway side to side heavily at certain speeds,it gets scary. This is caused by the rubber bushings in the rear control arms that wear out. If you replace the arms with aftermarket (made to a price point) stuff, you'll have the problem again soon. Solution is use genuine Nissan parts, that are expensive, or poly bushings which work but are kind of a pain to install. Again, common problem.

Leaking oil pan. The original end seals on the oil pan of the VG35 will inevitably, after about 150k miles or so, harden and shrink. Oil will then leak out between the trans and the engine and it will look like a rear seal leak. To change a rear seal on this car, the trans and the engine oil pan has to come off. To remove the oil pan on Pathfinder, either hang the engine in place and remove the front subframe to get access or pull the engine, your choice. I pulled the engine. Again, common problem.

Leaking valve cover gaskets. No fun with the engine in the car, the upper intake has to come off. I did this one with the engine out of the car, much easier. These gaskets must be made of the same stuff the oil pan end seals are.

The foam rubber between the A/C condenser and radiator will deteriorate. When this happens you don't get much airflow over the condenser with the vehicle stationary. Symptoms are the A/C does not cool that well when the car is stopped. What's happening is the high side pressure is going way up and the compressor is not happy. It will let you know how unhappy by taking a dump.

The transmission will delay going into reverse when cold, eventually it won't go into reverse at all... Time to drop the trans and tear into it.

On cold starts you will hear the timing chains rattle, the guides and tensioners are worn and the chains are getting a bit slack.

All of the above and more has happened to my Pathfinder, if you google these things you'll get hits. This car is well taken care of, oil changes on schedule using synthetic, transmission serviced, cooling system etc. I like the car, the engine runs smoothly and it rides nice, but it sure is a maintenance hog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back