02-04 Nissan Pathfinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in my search for a small or midsize SUV with AWD or 4 WD, the 2002-2007 1st gen Ford Escape has been the leader until I started thinking about the 2001-2004 Nissan Pathfinders.
I know they're more complex but also have reports of decent durability.

The car is meant as a third / extra vehicle for bad weather days and/or getting to some trailheads on dirt roads etc but nothing like heavy or serious off roading.
I don't need the All Mode electronic 4WD dash switch on it - the simple floor mounted 4hi-4lo shifter will be good enough I think

If anyone has any feedback on the 2002-2004 Pathfinders please share your experiences or opinions

Thanks

Last edited:
i have the 02 pathfinder. pretty good vehicle. but the main problem i had was the idle air control valve. not too hard to repair but it can fry the ecu and its an expensive repair. also happened without warning. had to drive 200 miles home using gas and brake so i wouldnt shut off

2003 QX4 here - pathfinder platform, better interior.

Rock solid, reliable vehicle. Over the last ten years and 80k miles, the only repairs I've had to do are valve cover gaskets, IAC valve, and fuel pump, and A/C compressor.

They are prone to rear main seal leaks, but it's not worth dropping the transmission to fix on a truck this old.

Originally Posted by 97tbird
So in my search for a small or midsize SUV with AWD or 4 WD, the 2002-2007 1st gen Ford Escape has been the leader until I started thinking about the 2001-2004 Nissan Pathfinders.
I know they're more complex but also have reports of decent durability.

The car is meant as a third / extra vehicle for bad weather days and/or getting to some trailheads on dirt roads etc but nothing like heavy or serious off roading.
I don't need the All Mode electronic 4WD dash switch on it - the simple floor mounted 4hi-4lo shifter will be good enough I think

If anyone has any feedback on the 2002-2004 Pathfinders please share your experiences or opinions

Thanks

We had a 2003 Pathfinder for many years (bought it new).

The only problem I had was with the 3.5L engine's VVT valve. At about 155,000 miles, the VVT valve, according to the Nissan tech, got a piece of carbon lodged in it and it took a half-bottle (8 oz.) of Rislone Engine Oil Treatment to clean it out.

Driveline components such as the AT transmission, Transfer Case, front, rear diff ran flawlessly; no seal leaks, no failures.

Of course, I changed driveline fluids and coolant every 30,000 miles.

I spoke to the third owner a few months back, and he has over 340,000 miles on it and has had zero problems. He uses it on his farm to "get out" when the snow is too high or difficult for his other vehicles.

The only reason I moved it out of my stable was because my daughter needed a more reliable vehicle.

Last edited:
I have 2003. It had the 'death wobble' fixed that with urethane bushings on the rear trailing arms. The rear main seal leaked, I removed the engine for that because, believe it or not, that's the easy way to do it. Now the A/C compressor has failed and the transmission won't go into reverse when it's cold. Debating weather to fix it or junk it. I could tear the trans apart and fix it but I'm getting to old for the part where you lie on your back and wrestle the trans out and back in.

Except for the A/C compressor, the above problems are not uncommon for the Pathfinder.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Although the heart likes the pathfinders idk if it's the best choice for a dependable and easy to maintain extra car and what I am hearing makes me think it would be a bit too complex for its intended purpose of a sort of a beater. Perhaps too nice for a beater. Brain says look for something else ... but brain doesn't always win either.

Nick: hey man. Hope you're doing well. I've been off the Internet for a while and spending more time outdoors which has been good for my health. I've taken up running and even did a half marathon in March in 2 hours and 17 min. I've only been running for about a year and a half so I was proud of it. I am turning 50 this year so the hiking and running is not easy but I need to keep at it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back