2003 Impala 3.8 Chevron Supreme 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finially got enough miles on her to at least try my 1st UOA...

I purchased my Impala LS in Feb 2003 with 20 miles on the car.It is now Feb 2004 and I just turned an even 3000 miles on the car when I took this sample.

The car is driven daily but in hard conditions.I live 2 miles from work and the engine is just getting up to temp when I shut it off.90 % of my driving is done in stop and go city use and rarely fully warmed up... and where I must park at at work is quite dusty.I know this is bad but it is a reality. I have done several oil changes on it.This is my first sample for a UOA.This oil had 669 miles on it.Didnt want to do one with less miles as it's still breaking in.The air cleaner is the origional one and the oil filter is a K&N as the nut on the bottom of the filter greatly eases servicing the oil filter.No make up oil was used.... There was a recall on this engine where GM replaced the fastners on the plastic intake manifold . This was done by the dealership and may have something to do with the potassium levels. I had Terry Dyson look this over and he asked that his comments be reserved and I will respect his wishes...

The sample was sent to Blackstone Labs.

AL.......... = 2
Iron........ = 5
Copper...... = 56
Lead........ = 1
Tin......... = 1
Moly........ = 57
Potassium... = 2
Boron....... = 113
Silicon..... = 12
Sodium...... = 2
Calcium..... = 1848
Magnesium... = 5
Phosphorus.. = 573
Zinc........ = 813

TBN ........ = 6.0
Flash point. = 385
Fuel........ = Antifreeze.. = 0
Water....... = 0
Insolubles.. = 0.3
SUS @210F... = 56.3

Wow. 3000 miles a year and 2 miles each way. Do you ever take the car out and let it "breathe"?

What jumps out at me is the 0.3% insolubles for only 700 miles. Yeah, it's a year of sitting in the sump, but still. Perhaps a change in oil filter is in order? And maybe take the 'long way home' a few times a week.

ferb!

Ya I know it's bad.I work 6 days a week and here in the Bay Area I work right next to Highway 880 and I could jump on the freeway but it would be the same...stop and go hehehe.Rush hour traffic around my area is not fun nor high speed. I would say less than 500 miles have been on the freeway.... Between working 6 days a week and being a caregiver (untill very recienty ) I have had very little time to actually go anywhere with the car.

So few miles. Just keep your oil analysis for later hopefully the potassium levels will not go up. That's the key.

I was surprised at the shearing.Almost makes me want to try something a tad thicker.

When I called Schaeffers last year they told me to wait till I got two to three thousand miles on it first before useing thier product.

Think it's ok to switch now ?? or does the engine need more breakin time ?

With this kind of driving, I would guess it's as broken in as it'll ever be. If you ever decide to do high-speed driving, keep a close eye on the oil level. It'll probably drop pretty fast.

ferb!

This conferms my thinking that all regular dino oils shear down in about 3000 miles. Maybe the reason for the 3000 mile oil change? A good reason to use synthetics or HD Diesel oils if you go past 3000 miles for changes.

Calvin

You need an hour meter installed. Then change your oil based on time versus miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back