2019 Kia Sorento 3.3L V6; M1 5W-30; 46K miles

I took this sample back in Feb, but only got to mail it last month. I noticed it was 1/2 a qt down at about 3.5K miles into the OCI so I topped it off and ran for another 2k miles.

Viscosity seems low for 5W-30, but they're saying it's in range? I've since switched to the severe maintenance schedule of 3,750 - 4K miles for OCIs to be on the safe side.

1692228507901.png

Viscosity is low because you most likely have fuel dilution! Blackstone is woefully low on fuel dilution reporting because they use the inaccurate flashpoint method vs GC. Check out my recent thread on here. Sent same oil sample to Blackstone and Oil Analyzers. Blackstone said no fuel dilution and OA said over 3%!

Lower calcium then what I'm used to seeing but it seems to be working out very well in this kia. Which mobil version is this? Does this car spec 0w-20? It's good to have a buffer if you have fuel dilution so motor on.

Viscosity is low because you most likely have fuel dilution!
Yes that was the main reason I wanted to run a UOA, and this seems to confirm it. I have started running Euro oils on severe maintenance schedule because I anticipated this. I have a stash sufficient for 2 more non-Euro OCIs which I plan on scheduling appropriately, then fully switch to Euro.

Lower calcium then what I'm used to seeing but it seems to be working out very well in this kia. Which mobil version is this? Does this car spec 0w-20? It's good to have a buffer if you have fuel dilution so motor on.
It was M1 5W-30 (non-EP). The manual specs 5/10W-30. Incidentally, the Hyundai variant of the same car and engine (the Santa Fe) allowed up to 5W-40. I agree with having a buffer, which is why I'm planning to switch fully to Euro 5W-30.

Last edited:
It was M1 5W-30 (non-EP). The manual specs 5/10W-30. Incidentally, the Hyundai variant of the same car and engine (the Santa Fe) allowed up to 5W-40. I agree with having a buffer, which is why I'm planning to switch fully to Euro 5W-30.
Suprises me. I just assume most of these newer cars take a 20 grade but I was wrong. Thanks for clarifying that.

Flashpoint is still high so there probably isn't that much fuel, if there is any.
The Kia/Hyundai V6's are actually better than the rest of their engine line up.

Switch to a 0/5w-40. Viscosity and consumption are there but i wouldn't worry about them too much.

Flashpoint is still high so there probably isn't that much fuel, if there is any.
The Kia/Hyundai V6's are actually better than the rest of their engine line up.
Blackstone cannot properly measure flash point, that’s the major problem. It’s a test with poor reproducibility and repeatability to start with and then making a secondary estimation of fuel dilution only compounds the problem.

The excuse lately posting on this forum is saying you have fuel dilution.. But the problem is Blackstone has been reporting MANY oils about 1.0 point lower than other labs. If you add about 1 pt you'll have 9.76 for viscosity and that makes a lot more sense. The M1 (non-ep) 5w-30 starts around 10.7-11.0 for viscosity. (I know, I'm using this oil on my Civic).. 1 pt lost after 5k miles is very good!

Also, I know that Blackstone is reporting viscosity about 1pt lower because the recent test sample I sent them they were way low. I had them retest it and BAM! 1 pt higher! So no, it isn't necessarily fuel dilution at all.. just the lab testing equipment has an issue..

I'm thinking folks are getting tired of seeing these BS fuel posts so Let's beat this dead horse together...

"Fuel %: Indicates the amount of volatile fuel dilution found in the oil." That's what BS says about testing fuel based on the flash point. Another method that might get more praise from BITOG is to have it tested via GC method but BS doesn't offer that & finding another lab that does shouldn't be too hard.

What other reasonably priced labs do people recommend that measure dilution/flashpoint more accurately?

I’m with Wemay. Looks fine. Don’t over think this. No reason not to run what ever 0/5w-30/40 you want for 5-6k with your top off in the middle.

Back