2003 Honda Odyssey, 3600 miles factory fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have been hangin around here for a couple of months now and have learned much. Maybe too much for my own sanity.
grin.gif
Here is the initial oil analysis on my wifes vehicle. No additional oil was used. Van was driven 3000 miles city (10 miles or less) and approx 600 miles hwy. New fill is Mobil 1 0w-20. It seems inline with what others are seeing from Hondas on the factory fill. I will be checking the Mobil 1 after 3750 and will judge from there about OCI.

Have at it

Dana

Honda Odyssey 2003 3.5L V6
MI/HR ON OIL 3,600
MI/HR ON UNIT 3,600
SAMPLE DATE 11/14/03
OIL Honda Factory Fill / 5w20

ALUMINUM 18
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 37
COPPER 151
LEAD 3
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 324
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 5
BORON 19
SILICON 86
SODIUM 8
CALCIUM 1876
MAGNESIUM 7
PHOSPHORUS 732
ZINC 862
BARIUM 6
Flash Point 310 F.
Fuel 2.8
Antifreeze 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.2
Viscosity 50.8 sus@210

High wear and silicon are both common finds in new engines such as yours. The wear is high due to break-in of new parts, while silicon is from sealers and sand-casted parts. We often find some fuel in new engines because the rings haven't finished seating. It should go away on its own in the next sample or two. The viscosity read in the 20W range. Universal averages show typical wear metals for an oil from this type engine after about 5500 miles. We suspect your engine will look that good or better in two or three more oil changes. Check back to monitor.

Well, being as the aluminum is so high-I would check the itake for vacuum leaks. Especially checkthe sealing of the air filter and the duct to the intake. Otherwise look-and expect those numbers to go down bigtime.
smile.gif

The real good news is silver tin and lead are low
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dwmcneil:
Hello,

I have been hangin around here for a couple of months now and have learned much. Maybe too much for my own sanity.
grin.gif

Pretty soon, you'll be like the rest of us: setting out on long journeys to all the WalMarts within a 5 state radius just to find the best deal on your favorite oil! I found Chevron/Havoline for 88 cents per quart at the Walmart in Lewsiburg, TN last night. I couldn't resist NOT buy it. Be careful! You'll probably get bit by that oil bug! LOL

Your UOA...Hmmm. There's nothing special with the Honda factory fill other than Moly. They add some Moly in there then tell the customer "DON'T CHANGE THIS OIL UNTIL 5K" as if it's some threat or something. Pennzoil and Chevron 5w-20's both have decent amounts of Moly in their bottled oil.

Good thing you didn't go the full 5K, that silicon is quite high due to the engine breaking in. Give it a few more OCI's and all those wear numbers will come down substantially.
cheers.gif

You will still see high copper for at least the next 20K miles. My Odyssey and at least two other Odysseys have shown high copper through the 20K mile range.

quote:

Originally posted by caremd99:
You will still see high copper for at least the next 20K miles. My Odyssey and at least two other Odysseys have shown high copper through the 20K mile range.

Do the Odyssey's have an oil cooler? I do believe the Saturn Vue with this same Honda engine has one.

Thanks everybody.

The air intake looks fine, as I would expect of a vehicle with only 5000 miles. Not sure if it has an engine oil cooler as standard equipment, so I have no idea why these engines show such high copper for so long. Blackstones universal averages for this engine show a copper of 42ppm.

As for being a junkie, does having a gallon of neo 0w5 saved since the early or mid 90's count as hording oil. I know it doesn't qualify in the quantity department, but it probably isn't in to many garages. I was experimenting with thin stuff as far back as the mid 80's when I was racing flat track motorcycles and had an eight member team racing for me. We were using 100-1 synthetic 2-cycle oil before most people were willing to try 32-1 oils. That's why I have no aversion to using the current 20wts.

Thanks again

Dana

It is a new engine . that is why a few short mileage oil changes on a new engine is best for the longest possible life. Do the trans and the differential if it has seperate oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back