2003 gmc safari

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok guys tell me what you think. A co-worker of mine has this with 220,000km on it. mainly city very little highway which is why it explains the poor gas mileage but thats another issue. He is currently using brand name 5w30, changes the oil every 4000km (or every 2500miles). Does not tow or haul anything maybe 150 lbs of parts in the back the most, burning about 1 litre every 1500km! Now, he was online with some one who had the same problem as him I dont think it was anyone from here but who knows? this person said its not because the engine is worn the oil is gettin diluted and dirty very quickly. so the told him to switch to a synthetic (maybe they told him high mileage I dont know) and with a synthetic filter and that will clean things up alittle. He can even extend the oil interval as well as we on here all know but whats your opinion on this ? I told him to step up to a 10-30 but he mentioned the other owner said, synthetic especially with a synthetic filter! My question is about the full synthetic, I know it will clean it but it may burn more also and whats so important about synthetic filters anyway? I always use a wix filter the cheeapest one with val- maxlife. What do you guys think??

personally I would try Maxlife or any brand name high mileage oil with a cheap filter. Run it for 3,000 miles and then again for 3,000 miles for the 2nd change. If it gets better then great, if not .........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back