2003 Focus ZX5 power steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil on the son's car today . He has been sick...and I'm too anal to let it go for too long. While I was under the hood I decided to flush the power steering system. Using the old turkey baster, I sucked out the thinnest blackest , most foul looking fluid I think I have ever seen. Refilled, drove around the yard a bit going lock to lock as much as possible. Did this a total of three times, and I still feel more is needed. I did not have the exact fluid recommended, used Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc, which according to PQIA tests is a little light on viscosity, but it HAS to be better than the stumpwater that I pulled out of there
smile.gif
The car just broke 100k, this stuff had to be original. Bought the car from my mother for my son with about 96k on it....basically, I am as guilty as anyone for letting the PS system suffer. Check the PS fluid folks, it needs love too !!
smile.gif

On my B2300, i just evacuate the PS resevoir and refill every OC; it is only a dollars worth of ML, but then I can bank on the fluid being uniform quality all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back