2002 dodge dakota p0305 code - misfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up to this point, I have replaced the spark plugs, coils, and one injector. After doing so, the problem was still present. I purchased a OBD module, which is pretty cool, and found that not only was cylinder 5 misfiring, but there was a pending code for cylinder 1 and another for a random misfire. Since I noticed that the injector I replaced had sludge on it, I decided to start adding fuel system cleaner to every tank of gas. I've used two bottles of Techron and one bottle of Berryman over the last few weeks, and the problem seems to be gone so far. The rough start is gone, and I haven't had an error code in two weeks. I wish I would have started with the fuel system cleaner. I'm going to start using the cleaners periodically from now on.

Seafoam (or like product) down the brake booster line, might also help(if problem comes back, after your fuel tank treatments).

Don't forget Mopar makes a top end combustion cleaner also.

Also the 4.7/3.7L powertech is very needy when it come to gasoline (with more than epa required detergents). I have been using top tier fuels in my 3.7's for years, to keep the valves clean. I also run techron through the system quarterly.

Originally Posted By: Gilberttribe
Up to this point, I have replaced the spark plugs, coils, and one injector. After doing so, the problem was still present. I purchased a OBD module, which is pretty cool, and found that not only was cylinder 5 misfiring, but there was a pending code for cylinder 1 and another for a random misfire. Since I noticed that the injector I replaced had sludge on it, I decided to start adding fuel system cleaner to every tank of gas. I've used two bottles of Techron and one bottle of Berryman over the last few weeks, and the problem seems to be gone so far. The rough start is gone, and I haven't had an error code in two weeks. I wish I would have started with the fuel system cleaner. I'm going to start using the cleaners periodically from now on.

Thanks for the follow-up. I've been putting in a big bottle of fuel injector cleaner in each vehicle every Fall and Spring, lately I've been wondering if it was snake oil and cut back to just every Fall. I try to buy only on sale, closeout, or coupon. I think I'll go back to twice a year, and stock up a little more next sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back