P0430 code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Aftermarket cats are not a problem as long as you're not burning oil
smile.gif

Yes they are. The washcoat when new is barely good enough to squeak by and pass emissions.

I had a bad NOx catalyst in my older BMW (no EGR), and so I swapped the cat, the results were literally a few PPM lower, just enough to squeak by.

OE cat had me from around 1100ppm with old and replacement aftermarket, to 11ppm!

Exactly, its the wash coat that does the work. CA certified cats have more of it, not OE level but enough to at least function for about 50-75K. The flanges usually rot off before that anyway in the salt belt.

I reset the light and will see if or how long before it returns. Her son drove it about 40 miles after the reset and it still has not come on so we shall see.

I used a bottle of Redline SI-1 on one of these Gm trucks and got a PO420 within and few miles, ran it down a little and added more fuel and reset the CEL, it never came back and it was over 7 years. You may get lucky.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I used a bottle of Redline SI-1 on one of these Gm trucks and got a PO420 within and few miles, ran it down a little and added more fuel and reset the CEL, it never came back and it was over 7 years. You may get lucky.

I hope we get lucky. I'm sure the cat did get damaged from the misfiring. It's a shame since this truck doesn't have that many miles on it.

The SES light came back on a few days ago and it's in the shop today getting a new cat installed. Hopefully that fixes the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back