2001 Civic full maintenance report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my Civic back after 3 days of heavy work done on it. I turned it in with specific instructions and all the parts needed, as the local mechanic let me do it (which is not his policy; if any of you want his name , please PM me.)
This is what was done by them per the invoice:
" Check all fluid levels, condition, and leakage. Check condition of tires. Check drive axels and suspension components. Remove wheels and check brake assemblies. Check all light bulbs. Check ignition system; Spark plugs (which I replaced myself prior), wires; scan computer and record any error codes. Load test battery, check terminal connections; test coolant, check hoses and rad. cap, check drive belts."
"Oil and filter change. Clean any oil residue from engine and surrounding areas. Check all other fluids. Check tire pressure and wear. Check bulbs. Lubricate all hinges and latches. Check front suspension and drive axles. (I provided oil/filter)."
"Flush brake system. Flush old fluid through system with clean fluid from master cylinder to bleed points on all corners."
"Remove timing belt and water pump, alternator and A/C belts (which I provided all of). Replace all with parts and gaskets (provided by me). Clean area of any residue."
"Adjust valves and replace gaskets (Provided by me) and PCV valve (me)"
"Remove lower radiator hose (I couldn't get to it, prior to replacing my upper hose, provided hose) and replace."

All of this labor cost me $1150 and was very well worth it, as my car is essentially new now. I'd say parts for everything was probably around $200 because I got them all at discount on the web (all parts Genuine Honda except Gates timing belt). Car had 87k on it when it went in. Mechanic says nothing loose in suspension and the shocks/struts are fine for another 30k. Everything works and no leaks anywhere, including cam/crank seals. I plan on running this Civic to 200k at the least.

I read your post with interest. Congrats! Like you, I like to have everything safety-checked and tolerance-checked periodically, especially since I have several cars to maintain that I don't drive often.

It is so nice to have someone that you trust inspecting & working on your car.

Best Wishes as you motor along!

UPDATE: I had asked this shop to give me back the 0.6 quarts of PP 5w20 I provided for them once the job was complete. They could not find it yesterday. That's because they put it in the engine. It's now that much overfilled. Guess what I'm going to do now.......

HUGE UPDATE:

Overfilled is not the word. WAY overfilled. 1.2 quarts too much. Plus, it appears to be used. Only 6 miles on this between the shop and my home. I drained it out today cold, without running it again. It smells like gas and is dark.
So, let's do the math:
1. I gave them 4 quarts of PP 5w20.
2. I pulled out 1.2 quarts extra, and now it shows completely full on the dipstick.
3. The engine is spec'd for 3.4 at full change.
SO......
My thoughts are the person doing the change got busy and forgot to drain the oil, and poured in perhaps the correct amount of new oil, and then remembered. He then tried to eyeball out the correct amount, and left way too much in and didn't tell anyone. So, is there still M1 with 6500 on it in there with a mix of PP? Car didn't run poorly yesterday on the way home.
I've saved 1/2 quart of the oil I took out in a clear container, and it's dark. Can anyone say that brand new PP is really dark upon release? I doubt it.
I'm going into this shop at 8am to talk to the owner and tell him that I've been changing oil for 20 years, and no one has ever changed the oil on this particular car except me, and now him. I'm not making a mistake, I check the oil every week for ***'s sake!
Other than that, everything they did is money and I'm really happy. But I plan on getting credit for my next service there (tire rotation on my CR-V in 2 weeks) for the labor they charged for the change, and also for the $16 worth of PP I bought and will have to buy again to change this out.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Meutsch:
Other than that, everything they did is money and I'm really happy.

If they couldn't even get the oil change right, what reason do you have to be happy about the rest of the $1k service they did?

The "" wouldn't screw up an oil change if he really was the best
lol.gif

Did the same guy that changed the oil also replace the timing belt?
Why did you not get an OEM timing belt. This is the one thing that I would have gone OEM.

I stand behind my previous statement and these people will continue to get my business.
After a long discussion with the tech who was supervising the shop floor that day, we realized the person who did the change did indeed change the oil completely but put all 4 quarts in the car and topped it off with some more PP 5w20, thinking it took 4.5 instead of 3.4. They offered to re-change it for free, I said no worries because I already drained out enough oil to not hurt anything.
Everything else they did is fine and no problems after 350 miles to date.
Yes, they did the timing belt. No, it was not Honda's, but if you know belts, Gates essentially could make them anyways. They're arguably the best replacement belts out there in my opinion.
I do have piston slap, apparently. The tech said the valves were all loose but he put them back on the tight-side of specs. I still have the same noise which I thought was valves at cold startup. He said he's heard of some Civics having this condition, which I jokingly replied "I thought that was only on GM trucks." (Learned that info here, not my personal experience or opinion!)

Still running the factory caliper boots, seals, and brake hoses? Don't brag to me about your thorough maintenance.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Still running the factory caliper boots, seals, and brake hoses? Don't brag to me about your thorough maintenance.

What is it with you and wanting to replace lifetime brake parts as preventative maintenance? You replace those when they are failing.

Chris,

Not to sound negative, but I think paying $1350 at 87k miles when the car is worth $8450 is too much.

Alot of those items on the list your mech did not need to do. (and charge you)

The things he could do is replace the brake fluid, change out the timing belt and adjust the valves. The charge should not have been over $1k!

Your Honda really needed only the timing belt done to be at 87k IMO.

The brake fluid also needed to be changed.

The valve adjustment I would have had done around 120k.

Your Honda will make 200k. Not to worry.
cheers.gif

I've NEVER paid that much for maintenance! I paid close to that for a head gasket but the mfg ended paying for it.

I've had cars and trucks make 200k with ease!
cheers.gif

My Toyota is close to 60k and I can say that it will not see $1000+ in maint costs for a LONG time. (It has a timing chain so it does not need to be changed every 90-110k)

I'm glad to see that your happy but next time, save some $$.
cheers.gif

Lot of things in the Manual and what mechs want to have done don't need to be done IMO... (or you can do them!)
patriot.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

so this guy changed your oil, flushed the fuid in the brakes, changed timeing belt, water pump and a few accsory belts and charged 1150$ labor, woow!

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:
Chris,

Not to sound negative, but I think paying $1350 at 87k miles when the car is worth $8450 is too much.

The things he could do is replace the brake fluid, change out the timing belt and adjust the valves. The charge should not have been over $1k!

Your Honda really needed only the timing belt done to be at 87k IMO.

The brake fluid also needed to be changed.

The valve adjustment I would have had done around 120k.

Your Honda will make 200k. Not to worry.
cheers.gif

I've NEVER paid that much for maintenance! I paid close to that for a head gasket but the mfg ended paying for it.

I've had cars and trucks make 200k with ease!
cheers.gif

My Toyota is close to 60k and I can say that it will not see $1000+ in maint costs for a LONG time. (It has a timing chain so it does not need to be changed every 90-110k)

I'm glad to see that your happy but next time, save some $$.
cheers.gif

Lot of things in the Manual and what mechs want to have done don't need to be done IMO... (or you can do them!)
patriot.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I agree. That's a lot of coin for preventative maintenance on a '05 year old car. But that's just my opinion.

I have a '01 Civic too. At 100k, it got all belts and water pump. I change the oil/tranny fluid myself.

I was going to adjust the valves, but the assembly manual stated this will never need to be done unless some changes have been made to the valve train (I can imagine the clearances could change slightly do to wear, but I guess mine hasn't worn enough to be out of sped). And I couldn't detect any valvetrain noise when use a stethescope (sp?) to the valve cover, so it's staying on.

That's basically my plan for the life of the car.

At 140k miles now, still seems like a new car to me.
cheers.gif

Chris...

don't ya love sharing your good feelings in a moment of triumph, then being called up on the witness stand to defend yourself?

grin.gif

It wouldn't be BITOG without the double standard, that's for sure. We've all chosen to ask WHY? on many occasions when people ask for advise or post their findings. This was my turn to take some I guess.
JakeR22, I also change transmission fluid myself and that debate on how I do mine is well documented on this board as well. I've been told I'm crazy on that aspect.
The factory repair book says "Inspect at 115k" or around there and adjust only if noisy. I heard ticking noises when it's cold, and I assumed it was the valves. They were all adjusted back to the tight side of spec., and the same exact noise is still there. Tech said he has heard of piston slap in Civics. So that's all I have to go on.
Whatever, I spent my money, not your all's, so go have a beer and relish in my stupidity while I go have a glass of wine and relish in the smartness of my decision.
Peace out.
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:
Chris,

I told them to do all that stuff. I wanted it done, they did it. Thanks to all on this board for my apparently horrendous decision.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back