2000 Galant Automatic Transmission issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I did a drain a refill on my 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6. I replaced the ATF with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. I know my car call for Diamond ATF SPII or SPIII, but it's difficult to come by in my area and the Mobil 1 ATF Synthetic stated that it covered Diamond SP II and SP III.

It's been about 1500 miles since I have done the fluid change. Today, I noticed that it is difficult to put the car into reverse. Also, I noticed some slight shuttering when maintaining a constant speed on the freeway.

Hopefully, I haven't caused to many problems. Do you think that I should switch to the Diamond SPII or SPIII.

Last edited:
I have found that Mitsubishi Automatic Transmissions are DISPOSABLE. The best thing Hyundai ever did (for their reputation) was to stop using Mitsubishi A/T's and start building their own.

Shudder is certainly one sign of using a fluid with incorrect friction properties. Some mitsu's use transmissions made by Aisian Warner and use a 3309 spec fluid like Mobil 3309, Toyota T-IV. If you have an AW transmission, it is one of the best and most reliable transmission made. period. AW also supplies Toyota, some older Jeep XJ's, Volvo, etc.

Not sure if I have a Aisian Warner transmission or not. What I do know is that the model # is F4A51.

Additionally, I might add that a day ago I changed my oil on this car and went to a PureOne filter with HM Pennzoil 10w30. I dont think this would have contributed to this issue, but then again I am not a mechanic
54.gif

1st, make sure that you have the correct amount of ATF in the Tranny.

2nd, make sure that(coincidently) that the shift lever to the tranny isn't just in need of a little lubracation. Spray the shift lever cable area atop the tranny with some lube.

3rd, Be careful! Many Mitsu trannys that call for Diamond ATF, is actually Mopar ATF-4. Many shared trannys between Chrysler/Mitsubishi during that generation called for Mopar ATF-4 in the Chrys/Dodge/Plym and Diamond SPIII in the Mitsu, and they were using the same tranny. The Talon/Lazer/Eclips were perfect examples as were some other applications, Sebring/Avenger come to mind as does that generation of the Mitsubishi Eclips. Yes! many used the same auto tranny. Maybe your tranny just doesn't like the full syn.

hmm what trans fuild does this car take?

any one know what a 2000 Mitsubishi mirage takes for trans fuild ?

Im having a few little issues too ?
what would putting the wrong fuild cause ?

Just like others have noted, I would use Mopar ATF +4 as an ELC-4 compatible ATF. I specifically say Mopar, because I tried an ATF +4 compatible fluid in my Aisin-Warner built A/T in my Montero and it wasn't very happy. Switching to Mopar ATF +4 smoothened it out completely. Mopar's version is also fully synthetic.

This transmission takes about 9 litres of fluid, so I would suggest you drop the pan to replace the filter and gasket if you haven't already done so, and do a complete cooler line flush with about 10-12 litres of fluid.
thumbsup2.gif

My brother is a master mechanic at my local Mitsu. Mopar ATF 4 is the same as the Diamond fluid. Mitsubishi transmissions are very sensitive to the fluid you use. To the OP, I would drain the Mobil and do your best to find Mitsubishi fluid, or the Castrol Import fluid, which is the only other kind that I haven't heard any complaints. You might also want to try www.thegalantcenter.net

Whoever says Mitsu trannys are disposable, only if you don't take care of it. My current transmission has 186k, shifts smooth, no lurches or surges. New fluid and filter every 25k miles keeps it in the best shape.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back