2000 4.3 chevy blazer ADBV question

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADBV valves are never in the engine. You may be confusing it with a bypass valve, which the 4.3 doesn't need in an oil filter.

-T

Yes, you need one with an ADBV.

All blazers need one and for god sakes don't install a Fram Extraguard/Wearguard or Fram Toughgard

What problems would arise if I wanted to use a oil filter without an ADBV i.e. trasko spin on bypass filter for this application. Theres no room left under the hood for another type of filter.

I am un familiar with this filter. Is it a screw on replacement? Why wouldn't it have a ADBV?

On the GM 4.3 liter engines that I've changed the oil on, the filter hung directly down from the engine. With this positioning none of the oil will drain from the filter regardless of whether it has a Anti-drainback valve or not.

So, I would say that a ADBV is not necessary on engines that mount the filter vertically.

Its a spin on replacement go to www dot trasko-usa dot com to see what I'm looking at. They do not have a ADBV. The filter mounts horizontally in a 4X4 blazer its in a remote location behind the front bumper.

quote:

Originally posted by iceberg:
Its a spin on replacement go to www dot trasko-usa dot com to see what I'm looking at. They do not have a ADBV. The filter mounts horizontally in a 4X4 blazer its in a remote location behind the front bumper.

With a 4.3L, you REQUIRE an ADBV, that or you will get the 4.3L dry start knock.

Trust me, I own one.

There is a service bulletin by GM stating this fact.

then how come I get that using delco ultraguard gold PF-52s once in a while after it has sat for a while?

My ZR2 has the filter mounted on its side.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
then how come I get that using delco ultraguard gold PF-52s once in a while after it has sat for a while?

My ZR2 has the filter mounted on its side.

JMH

Possibly too thick of oil?
dunno.gif

Are you hearing a lifter tick for a couple seconds at startup..and then it quits?
Or is it a more persistant knocking which indicates thick oil/low flow until the oil warms a little? Does it do it with any other brands of filters- I have read (here at BITOG) that the UPF filters are a little flow restrictive..

Failure or lack of an ADBV can usually be seen by observing the action of the oil pressure gauge at startup. If the needle does not come up to pressure within a second or two at most, you have a problem, no matter if the filter is Fram or AC Delco Gold. Try to get filters with Silicone (orange or pink) anti drainback valve.

Try to get filters with Silicone (orange or pink) anti drainback valve.
===============================================

****... Quit teasing folks like me that have never looked inside an oil filter before joining this site.

Off the top of your head, can you please name any of these orange & pink silicone filter models?

I already get stares from women in the bulk linen aisles of stores when I'm there measuring thickness with calipers/micrometers for patching roundball bullets in my blackpowder/muzzleloading guns.

Now you want me to hold-up an oil filter in K-Mart & pretend it's a telescope to onlookers too?... lol

The ADBV is easily visable in the filter. Filters with silicone ADBVs include: Pure One, Wix, Mobil 1, and some Motorcraft, AC delco and K&N.

-T

What T-Keith said........ I guess we should ad that you look into the holes on the open end of the filter to see the valve (no, not the center hole but the ones half way to the edge from the center. Napa (same as Wix)is what I used last change. Just say no to black (neoprene)ADBVs.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
5w30 shouldnt be too thick at 30F.

I believe...
dunno.gif

JMH

Ah, yes, that is perfect.

Ok, What you are seeing is the case for a engine oil flush.

Seems that all 4.3Ls will need one after a while.

Grab a bottle of Gunk engine flush and dump it in your oil and allow the engine to idle for 30-40 mins and then dump the oil and replace with fresh oil and a fresh filter.

If you want to be really thorough, you can use the flush with cheap oil and a junk filter to do the job even better.

I did it on my 1995 4.3L and after 40 minutes, when I dropped the oil, it was black and the filter was plugged and guess what, the knock was gone as well.

Good luck, if you need anymore Blazer questions answered, come to Automotive forums and join the Blazer section, we answer close to 100 questions daily on Blazer issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back