$20 smartwatch vs Apple SE

with my iphone 13 pm i was also given a apple watch SE smart watch. I already have a cheap $20 smartwatch . i have been playing with the apple one adn comparing it to the cheap one. Besides the wireless charging, there really is not much the apple does that my $20 one does not do. they both get text, make phone calls , get emails . i don't use the fitness stuff so can't comment on that.

the cheap one the battery last way longer than the SE. i jsut don't get paying extra for the same thing beside the name.

While the general functions may be similar its sort of like saying a pickup truck and a Lamborghini are the same because they have 4 tires and get you to work. The apple watch is quite powerful and has very precise sensors on board that allow it to do a multitude of things with precision. Usually the apple watch rates at or near the top of the charts for heartrate accuracy compared to other devices. While i like the apple watch i stopped wearing mine 1/2 a year ago as i find i dont like a lump on my wrist.

My wife had been after me to get a smart watch to monitor HR, pulse, # of steps per day, total distance etc... I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on one so she found an inexpensive one on Amazon and purchased it for me. After wearing it for a month I took it off and it hasn't been worn since. I found the BP and pulse readings to be substantially off from the readings I would get from our home BP machine. Being rather small I had a hard time reading the time and information on it especially in sunlight. and like joegreen I also didn't like the feel of it on my wrist.

It wouldn’t happen to be a Wyze watch would it? They were in some hot water for knowing about their security cameras being able to be hacked for over 3 years and not telling anyone about it. I know a smart watch isn’t a security camera, but it’s hard to trust a company that did that with anything else.

Earlier this year I had been diagnosed with bradycardia. My wife got me one of those cheap watches so I could monitor my heart rate, blood pressure and do EKGs. Even checked the heart rate when I was at a cardiologist visit. Heart rate was close. Early November I wasn’t feeling well for a few days. I kept checking my heart rate and blood pressure with the watch. Watch showed everything was as expected. Then I had an incident at while I was at work which got me an ambulance ride to the ER. While the heart rate was still close the blood pressure was way off. So I now have a Fitbit just to keep an eye on my heart rate and a blood pressure monitor at home to check my BP.

It's a bit like saying:
I got a $500 Fluke multimeter. I have a $10 multimeter from Harbor Freight. I have been playing with Fluke one and comparing it to the cheap one. There is really not much the Fluke does that my $10 doesn't do. They both have probes and a digital display. With both, when I stick the probes into an outlet, it tells me the voltage. I just don't get paying extra for the same thing beside the name.

What I used my Apple Watch for today:

Monitored and tracked my sleep overnight
Tracked my run this morning
Tracked my HIIT workout after my run
Notified me that I have a 9:00am meeting in the office
Didn't remove it when I showered (it's waterproof)
Used it to remote start my truck before I left
Used geofencing to lock my front door, turn off all the lights, and turn down the temp on the thermostat on my way out
Used tap-to-pay for my coffee without having to remove my wallet or phone
Gave a notification and showed my driveway camera when my wife arrived back home to pick up something the kids forgot to bring to school

All that and it's only 8:15am.

It's also always watching my heart rate and monitoring for falls.

What smart watch is that, sounds good, anything that displays texts, call names, and time is good enough for me.

Supposedly LIGE watches are pretty good and priced competitively, they have all the health monitors if that's what you're looking for. I don't have one, but have heard multiple good things about them.

Havent cared for Apple watches since their battery life is pathetic. Fitbit has served me well for years.

While the general functions may be similar its sort of like saying a pickup truck and a Lamborghini are the same because they have 4 tires and get you to work. The apple watch is quite powerful and has very precise sensors on board that allow it to do a multitude of things with precision. Usually the apple watch rates at or near the top of the charts for heartrate accuracy compared to other devices. While i like the apple watch i stopped wearing mine 1/2 a year ago as i find i dont like a lump on my wrist.
you may be correct on the sensors etc, but i don't use those features . as long a i get text,email and call notifications i am a happy camper.

A big win to me so with Apple Watch is it can log you on into iPhone(wearing ski gear like googles and gloves) and also Mac without password/passcode.

Occasionally I use Apple Maps and like how it vibrates on your wrist the closer you approach a turn. All subtle stuff but lots of engineering and integration into their products.

Got my older one an SE 2. It works "better" in tracking and calling than other brands with reviews that get disconnect / buggy / crashes / fails etc. No phone for kid till later but watch is useful in what we need, as a family line for them at $10/mo.

Sure I can probably get a $20 one but I would be wondering why it doesn't work when I can't find it. Its reception is still not great but it gets the job done. After 3 years it will be passed down to the younger one and then after that probably done and recycle.

I have a $25 smart watch uses an app called dafit. Shows calls texts team’s messages as well as other app notifications. Also does blood 02 heart rate blood pressure steps sleep. Works good with my iPhone XR periodically the watch will flake out and reboot but the watch is over 2 yrs old battery goes 3-4 days and really has taken a beating.

I much prefer my dumb watch. I really can't see a scenario where I would want constant connection to my phone on my wrist.

I much prefer my dumb watch. I really can't see a scenario where I would want constant connection to my phone on my wrist.
They have their place and aren’t for everyone. For me it works good at my job I work on ladders and for the majority of the day have my hands busy it’s nice to see if a text or call is of importance or can wait by the flip of my wrist. Especially around the work place I do facility maintenance and messenger for the place office staff is always getting me on teams messages to move something pick up a package fix something etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3808.jpeg
    IMG_3808.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 9
How does a watch check blood pressure? Is there a cuff in the wrist band?
The only watch that does bp to my knowledge is are Samsung watch 3+ i think.

The system works in 30 day intervals. Every time you calibrate the watch to another bp cuff, whether manual or automatic medical device. The watch once calibrated, you can take a manual reading anytime you choose. The system is complicated since it assumes you can take the calibration properly, and you have to do it every month, or the feature deactivates.

In regards to smartwatches, if you air gap the device, its fine. If its connected to the internet and your phone...who knows whats data is collected.

Back