Apple stealing app

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Accused+o...rticle21871.htm

Quote:
Apple's iOS 5 includes a feature that is almost identical to an app a developer submitted in May 2010

It's no secret that Apple has been militant in suing competitors that employ technologies even remotely close to Apple's own [see: Samsung, Motorola, HTC]. But when it comes to stealing ideas for apps from developers, Apple's intentions are a bit more dubious.

The Register reports that Apple is being accused of stealing the idea of one UK-based college student and developer — Greg Hughes. In May 2010, Hughes submitted an app for consideration called Wi-Fi Sync, which allowed users to sync their iTunes libraries wirelessly.

Rather than receive the standard rejection email, Hughes reportedly got a call from an iPhone developer relations representative letting him know that his app was "admirable," but that some unspecified security concerns prevented it from being accepted. "They did say that the iPhone engineering team had looked at it and were impressed," Hughes told The Register. "They asked for my CV as well."

But rather than back down, Hughes simply submitted the app to the Cydia store, where it's sold more than 50,000 copies in a little more than a year. At $9.99 a pop, it's fair to say that Hughes made out quite nicely from his decision, though he declined to say how much he profited.

That didn't pad the surprise that Hughes received earlier in the week, when Apple unveiled a number of key features for its upcoming iOS 5. One key feature, aptly named Wi-Fi Sync, does exactly what Hughes' rejected version did. Furthermore, Apple's icon for the app bears a striking resemblance to Hughes original design (see photo).

"Obviously I was fairly shocked," Hughes told The Register. "I'd been selling my app with that name and icon for at least a year. Apple knew that, as I'd submitted it to them, so it was surprising to see that."

The Unofficial Apple Weblog has a list of other jailbreak developers that have been subject to similar "borrowing" by Apple.

The logos
20349_20345_wifi-sync_displayv2.jpg

Discuss.

Last edited:
Whether Apple actually stole his intellectual property or simply had something similar in the pipeline all along, I would think there certainly are grounds for a lawsuit.

Agreed.

Seems kind of serious at first glance but OTOH wireless syncing with iTunes is kind of a no-brainer feature and the icon really is just the normal sync icon surrounding the standard Airport (wifi) icon.

Last edited:
This is why I avoid Apple and Google (they are just as bad) whenever possible. They have become bullies of the caliber Microsoft could only dream of becoming in the 90s.

What's this "jailbreak developer"? Has Apples OS been reverse engineered against the license agreement to a point to allow this? Since he's broken into the core OS, is his programming output really his?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back