20 hp Kohler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 20 hp Kohler command series. The unit is used for carpet cleaning inside a chevy express van.All the doors are open when in use. I was using 10-30 full synth oil but had leak in the main seal at the shaft. Repair was made and was told to run at 3600 rpms but the water get to hot at 260 temp. the unit runs better at 29-3000 rpms. I have now switched to 15-40 shell oil hope that helps Any info on oil would help. and I.m located in Ft. Myers Fl 98 deg. and high humidity . Thank you jz.

My 1995 vintage John Deere STX38 lawn tractor has the 12.5 HP command engine in it, which I assume is a smaller version of what you've got in your truck. I run synthetic 5W-40 as it gets pretty warm here in Alabama. It has Delo 400LE synthetic in it now, but I've used Rotella, Mobil 1, etc... It seems to like everything I put in it.

I'm a big fan of synthetics for air cooled small engines. They don't have radiators and no way to regulate temperature, so the oil can get really toasty hot - exactly where you want a synthetic. A couple of summers ago, on a 99 degree F day, I was cutting some high grass and saw over 350 deg F temps on the outside surface of the oil filter. It uses about 2 quarts IIRC, so the extra cost for synthetic is worth it in my opinion.

I must be doing something right...that engine is old enough to drink (21 years) and never been apart. Starts right up...lots of power...no smoke.
smile.gif

Just my few cents worth.

thanks,
ben

Originally Posted By: Boomer
He cleans carpets, hence the water!!!!!

Before replying, did you ever stop to think that maybe I wanted to absolutely verify what he's referring to?

Since you jumped the gun though...

With a heat exchange setup, please explain to us what exactly solely switching to a 15w-40 is going to accomplish.

Still though, what do you mean by "water get to hot at 260 temp"?

Even if it's your carpet cleaning water I don't see how it gets up to 260 degrees.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Still though, what do you mean by "water get to hot at 260 temp"?

Even if it's your carpet cleaning water I don't see how it gets up to 260 degrees.

If the sender is (incorrectly) placed near the heat exchanger, temps will be elevated.

Cold water from a garden hose goes into the truckmount and the air cooled engine plus the vacuum , blower plus the heat exchange heats the water into 260 temp, but this only comes from spending $20K plus a van to carry. Iv,e been in the carpet cleaning for 35 years and still learning at the young age of 74 and love my job.

I have a fleet of rental hot water pressure washers with 20 and 25 hp commands....throttles are locked at wot 3600 rpm all day long in south texas...no issues in almost 2O yrs in the business.. any name brand 10w30 is fine to use and is what is recomended...if you wanted to try something a little better I would use a 5w40 diesel oil...just my thoughts.

Last edited:
I know exactly how those kinda units work....if you dont have a seperate propane burner(heater) for the water heating the units usually use exhaust heat to heat the water through some kind of heat exchanger/manifold...it is generally completely independent and after the engine ....I wouldnt be to worried about the engine oil as long as its full and engine is healthy..the engine has its own big fan on it for its own cooling.. ....you need to figure out whats up with the exhaust heat exchanger/manifold and how it controls the cycling/temperature control of the water temps....

The engine had a oil leak when it was new. Now I found out it was the seal at the main shaft. I,m hope that the heavier oil will make a difference.

Yea I think the motor was built on a Friday and they forgot to properly install the main shaft seal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back