20 hp Kohler

Status
Not open for further replies.
33.gif
33.gif

Originally Posted By: DSparks
I know exactly how those kinda units work....if you dont have a seperate propane burner(heater) for the water heating the units usually use exhaust heat to heat the water through some kind of heat exchanger/manifold...it is generally completely independent and after the engine ....I wouldnt be to worried about the engine oil as long as its full and engine is healthy..the engine has its own big fan on it for its own cooling.. ....you need to figure out whats up with the exhaust heat exchanger/manifold and how it controls the cycling/temperature control of the water temps....

Thank you for clarifying this DS! The only units I've ever seen are the diesel fired water heater type. Had no idea on the exhaust heat exchanger.

Having owned several flavors of Kohler, including one Command 20 V-twin and one Courage 20 V-twin, they throw off some heat, but I had no idea it would be enough for any volume of water w/out puking cooled exhaust and condensate gunk out the exhaust end.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jackz
I have a 20 hp Kohler command series. The unit is used for carpet cleaning inside a chevy express van.All the doors are open when in use. I was using 10-30 full synth oil but had leak in the main seal at the shaft. Repair was made and was told to run at 3600 rpms but the water get to hot at 260 temp. the unit runs better at 29-3000 rpms. I have now switched to 15-40 shell oil hope that helps Any info on oil would help. and I.m located in Ft. Myers Fl 98 deg. and high humidity . Thank you jz.

I am in your business in Florida as well. My local Kohler expert is available to you by phone and amazingly helpful. I've known this guy for 35 years, a great problem solver. Just PM me for his number.

Note that your issues are precisely why we buy Butler equipment...

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Still though, what do you mean by "water get to hot at 260 temp"?

Even if it's your carpet cleaning water I don't see how it gets up to 260 degrees.

You folks are forgetting that he probably cleans at 500 psi and up. Quite easy to "nuke" the water at those pressures.

Really does nothing for your cleaning. Many cleaning products actually break down well below these temps and it's very easy to damage many finer carpets at those temps...

I know exactly how those kinda units work....if you dont have a seperate propane burner(heater) for the water heating the units usually use exhaust heat to heat the water through some kind of heat exchanger/manifold...it is generally completely independent and after the engine ....I wouldnt be to worried about the engine oil as long as its full and engine is healthy..the engine has its own big fan on it for its own cooling.. ....you need to figure out whats up with the exhaust heat exchanger/manifold and how it controls the cycling/temperature control of the water temps....

Very astute, I believe he'll find his heat exchanger all carboned up and restricting the exhaust, extremely hard on the poor engine....

More than likely its scaled up on the water side especially if the tap water is hard....think of a scaled up coffee maker...low flow..plenty of heat from the exhaust will make them overheat....the exhaust(engine) side is usually a non issue

More than likely its scaled up on the water side especially if the tap water is hard....think of a scaled up coffee maker...low flow..plenty of heat from the exhaust will make them overheat....the exhaust(engine) side is usually a non issue

And yet I know a local guy who started a business making stainless steel heat exchangers! Your premise about the hard water is almost always guaranteed on any heat exchanger, even mine.

But there are many many carpet cleaners and pressure washers who can tell you they DO carbon up and it is rather common IMO...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back