2-Stroke mower oil upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have a bottle leftover of Stihl Ultra silver bottle.

I don't think you'll want it if saving money is your goal, BUT

It is what I would call transparent.

Transparent in that you dont realize anything it is doing.

These experiences are from using it in a new FS90 trimmer which is considered four stroke (I think, 4Mix) but runs premix fuel just like the 2 strokes.

No strong odors
50:1
Fuel stabilizers imbedded
I ran some OLD gas and just lost a hair up upper rpm power. I filled up a gallon one season, ran it into the next season, then started the third season with it if memory serves. And, by season I mean years not quarters.

The company seems proud of it that it is the best at taking care of your equipment and probably the environment as well. They recommend to use 89 octane with it.

Just all around great to work with!

Really, any quality EG-D oil will work wonderfully. That classification covers wear, carbon deposits and clean burning. Barring that, any FC oil will work perfectly and protect properly for your air cooled engine.

As mentioned above, it's probably best to stay away from TCW-III oils, as they are not really ideal for air cooled engines and proper deposit control at the elevated temperatures. However, there are many who use TCW-III with good results, especially at ratio's like 25 to 1.

Mowers are not particularly demanding of two stroke oils. For mowing, you should also consider a quality oil that smokes the least, and has the least objectionable smell. Those requirements mean it is likely to be an EG-D oil that will serve your needs best.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help everybody. I understand the system better now. At the top is ISO EG-D and JASO FD, with EG-B and FB at the other end of the scale. I will also leave the TC-W3 stuff for the boats and outboards.

Looking about a few shops today, most of the garden stuff is FB with some over priced FC "premium garden" oil. In the motorcycle section it all starts at FC oil with the synthetic FD oil being atleast double the price of the "regular bike" FC oil.

The sweet spot appeared to be the FC motorcycle oil. The regular bike oil carries the same specs as the premium garden oil, but costs less. Reading some of the FC bike oil containers, they say it's suitable for both air-cooled and liquid-cooled engines in both pre-mix fuel and injection system applications.

There were a few sales on, so looking for the best buy, I ended up getting Castrol Activ 2T (JASO FC) that has a nice bright red colour.

It will be a few months before I get to try the Activ, as I need to use up the last of my Chief Muscogee (JASO FB) oil, that has a not nice p1ss yellow colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back