2-stroke oil for Lawn Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Mauryama Chainsaw and Edge Trimmer. Maruyamas best oil is their Blue Ultra Shield. I noticed on the bottle it is a semi-synthetic blend. It meets JASO-FD and has a stabilizer.

I have some MOTOTEX 2T fully synthetic oil that I picked up at the Motorcycle shop. It is JASO-FD and API-TC, ISO-L-EGD. Would a full-synthetic oil like this be a better option?

With that brand reputation for quality you will not have a engine problem for many hundreds of hours as long as you use any FD oil. Use the syn, it should burn cleaner and keep any catalytic converter cleaner longer. Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
With that brand reputation for quality you will not have a engine problem for many hundreds of hours as long as you use any FD oil. Use the syn, it should burn cleaner and keep any catalytic converter cleaner longer. Rod

I just watched a YouTube video, chainsaw guy tested 2-stroke oils for years, he uses Motul 800 and Belray H1-R. The Motorex is on par with the Motul. I think I will mix with non-ethanol 91 and full-synthetic vs the pre-packaged semi-synthetics.

I found this interesting on a forum. removed, this was not true.

Last edited:
I haven't heard of either of those 2 stroke oils. I use Husqvarna semi-synthetic 2-stroke mix and haven't had any issues. Burns pretty clean and is cheap on Amazon. A lot of my landscaper customers use Amsoil Saber or Opti2 in their equipment with many hours of use and no issues. Once I'm out of the Husqvarna (one more bottle left) I plan on trying the Opti2. These guys put more hours on their equipment in a week than I probably do in 2 years.

motor oils are changing all the time. It is highly unlikely a particular brand would remain unchanged for the life of a quality engine. This is one reason why i am no longer brand loyal , looking for independent certification like dexos or FD. Any major brand is good enough, you will never know which is better or worse because most of us have sample size of one and will not have a lubrication biased failure. Parts become hard to get after 10 years, lose an ignition module and you might as well buy new weed eater or just get replacement from china and take your chances.

Last edited:
Owned a landscaping company for 8 years, I used Amsoil Stihl and Echo 2 stroke oil. Clogged the exhaust ports after years of use (thousands of hours). But all the engines ran perfectly if you kept the carb tuned up. After I sold my business many years ago I held onto my favorite weedeater (Echo 2601) and backpack blower Stihl br400. Both are still going strong after 23 years. Bottom line, use a decent brand name 2 stroke and I think you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back