2 cycle oil types

Status
Not open for further replies.
API TC,JASO-FC,ISO-L-EGD and TC-W3 man what does all this really means? i been cutting lawns cutting firewood for some time but is thare a difference really? what about using outboard oil for a chainsaw? can some one push me in the right direction please.

TC-W3 is designed for the somewhat cooler operating temps of outboards and has zero ash additives usually. Ash would be metallic detergents/antiwear compounds that could leave behind some cc deposits in these engines. So other, non-ash detergents/anti-wear additive/base oil combinations are used in TC-W3.

JASO-FC and ISO-L-EGD will typically be low-ash, but designed for higher operating temps of air-cooled engines, or in the case of PWC's, API-TC is usually the one to look for.

Will you grenade your engine using TC-W3 in you weed wacker? Doubtful and way better than using SAE 30 for mixing or something worse. But it is not ideal for this use, see? Same with using ISO-L-EGD or JASO-FC in your outboard. It would work for a long time, but not ideal, see?

Anyone familiar with ISO-L-ETC? It's speced for some 2 stroke motorcycles, but I can't find anything about it except for a few oils that meet the spec.

Originally Posted By: leaves and lawns
so JASO-FC and ISO-EGD would be the deal for chainsaws? not TC-W3

correct

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
TC-W3 is designed for the somewhat cooler operating temps of outboards and has zero ash additives usually. Ash would be metallic detergents/antiwear compounds that could leave behind some cc deposits in these engines. So other, non-ash detergents/anti-wear additive/base oil combinations are used in TC-W3.

JASO-FC and ISO-L-EGD will typically be low-ash, but designed for higher operating temps of air-cooled engines, or in the case of PWC's, API-TC is usually the one to look for.

Will you grenade your engine using TC-W3 in you weed wacker? Doubtful and way better than using SAE 30 for mixing or something worse. But it is not ideal for this use, see? Same with using ISO-L-EGD or JASO-FC in your outboard. It would work for a long time, but not ideal, see?

They should give that out with every 2 cycle purchase. You are an oil god
thankyou2.gif
But why the %$#@ couldn't you have told me that years ago
LOL.gif

If you are using commercial equipment like Stihl, Shindaiwa or Echo they will void your warranty if you use API TC or TCW 3 oils in their branded equipment.

Handheld power equipment should be run with Jaso FC/FD Iso-L-EGD oil and 93 octane fuel from a high quality gas station like BP/Shell/Marathon not some fly by night place with [censored] fuel with no additives in the fuel.

My mix is Stihl HP super (Black bottle) and Marathon 93 octane.

Chainsaws need the FD oils with todays tolerances and epa requirements. They are just too tight to have the wrong lubricants in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back