2 new tires......mount on front or rear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I haven't gotten around to contacting Audi regarding this issue, but I asked a guy who works for VW in Germany. Here is what he said regarding the issue:

The front tires displace most of the water, so the rear tires will encounter less water, hence more tread on the front tires gives more grip, BUT only as long as the driver maintains a SAFE SPEED. Unskilled drivers or those who can't gauge their own and their car's limits, are advised to mount the tires with more tread on the rear.

The German ADAC conducted tests on wet and dry road and concluded that a below average or average driver was advised to mount the tires with more tread on the rear, as loss of control announced itself less drastically. That goes for cars with all drive systems, including AWD.

The advantage of having the tires with more tread on the front are superior grip, better handling and steering response, and better braking.

The consensus seems to be that skilled drivers can enjoy better tire performance with the more grippy tires on the front.

This all makes good sense. As much as I would like to think I'm Michael Schumacher, I have to be a realist and put myself in the "average" category. I think my abilities behind the wheel are better than most but the safe play is to mount the new tires in the rear. My wife and kids well being could be at stake if I'm wrong about those driving abilities. That is not a bet I'm willing to make.

Here's a questions about putting the newer tires on the rear. Let's say I just replaced all 4 tires (or got a new car). The manufacturer says to rotate the tires at x miles (whatever amount they say). Since the fronts wear quicker, every time I rotate I'm going against the advice of keeping the newest tires on the rear. How could you explain that?

I do have one idea about it... since you rotate often enough that there's no large difference in any tire it's ok. Is this right?

I think we are neglecting in this discussion what actually constitutes a significant difference in tread depth. Let's say a new tire has 8mm tread and it is worn to the bare minimum at 1.6 mm. If you end up having almost bare tires mixed with brand-new ones on the car, you are asking for trouble. Rotating tires should ensure that all four (or five, if you choose to include the spare) tires are worn approximately the same. I don't believe that a one or two mm difference matters.

As for judging ones own driving skills, adjusting your speed seems to me more sensible than relying on prematurely occuring hydroplaning in the front. Don't forget, if your front wheels float, the car will not react to steering input or brakes.

In this context, I'd also like to mention that it amazes me that so many people use all season tires. I have yet to drive a car with all season tires that offered performance and safety resembling that of a decent summer or winter tire.

newest studies have shown new tires should be mounted to the rear. the ntsb did skid pad tests and showed that being the least weight is in the rear of most vechiles the better tread in the rear helps prevent hydro planning. i have seen video shot of this and it does show results to this effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back